Bodies Found from downed Air France flight AF447June 7th, 2009 - 12:31 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Brazilian authorities say they have finally located debris and bodies from Air France flight AF447, went missing over the Atlantic last Monday.
Brazilian Air force spokesman Colonel Jorge Amaral said two bodies and a suitcase containing a ticket for the flight were taken from the water at 0814 Brazilian time (1114 GMT) and experts on human remains are on their way to examine them.
The bodies were found close to an area where a massive air and sea search continues, 650 km (400 miles) northeast of the Fernando de Noronha Islands, an archipelago 355 kilometers (220 miles) off the northeast coast of Brazil.
All 228 passengers and crew on board AF 447 are believed to have been killed when the plane disappeared during an 11-hour flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris.
Earlier this week the Brazilian defense minister confirmed that debris and a fuel trail from the missing Airbus A300-200 had been found, but further examination showed the items recovered to be refuse from passing ships.
- Brazil confirms Air France AF447 Bodies found - Jun 07, 2009
- Brazil confirms wreckage is from Air France AF447 crash - Jun 03, 2009
- Race is on for crashed Air France AF447 black boxes - Jun 03, 2009
- Debris not from Air France plane wreck: Official - Jun 05, 2009
- Terrorism a possible cause for AF447 death plunge - Jun 02, 2009
- More Air France AF447 bodies recovered - Jun 08, 2009
- Body recovered from 2009 Air France flight - May 05, 2011
- Bodies found, no black box among 2009 Air France crash wreckage - Apr 05, 2011
- Air France flight AF447 lost en-route to Paris - Jun 01, 2009
- French airliner missing over Atlantic, 228 on board (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Debris of 2009 Air France crash found - Apr 05, 2011
- Air France update : Bomb threat received - Jun 03, 2009
- Downed Air France AF447 debris found - Jun 02, 2009
- Air France Rio crash: Jet plunged in minutes - May 27, 2011
- Air France CEO mourns crash of flight AF447 with international passengers onboard - Jun 01, 2009
Tags: AF447, air france, air france flight, airbus a300, archipelago, brazilian air force, brazilian authorities, colonel, debris, defense minister, fernando de noronha, gmt, human remains, kilometers, last monday, massive air, passing ships, rio de janeiro, sea search, spokesman, suitcase