Blast hits border town in southern Afghanistan, casualties reportedFebruary 24th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by BNO News
SPIN BOLDAK, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) — A large explosion rocked a border town in southern Afghanistan on Thursday morning, officials said, causing an unknown number of casualties.
A spokesperson for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said the blast hit near a National Directorate of Security (NDS) checkpoint in Spin Boldak, a border town in southern Kandahar province. NDS is Afghanistan’s domestic intelligence agency.
Few details were immediately available. “Our initial reporting from [the National Police Coordination Center] indicates the explosion occurred near an NDS checkpoint. We do have reports of casualties, but numbers, status and affiliations are unclear,” the ISAF spokesperson said.
ISAF said no coalition service members were among the casualties. “We are still gathering details, but at this time, there appears to be no ISAF involvement,” the alliance said.
- Blast hits Kabul, details sketchy - May 04, 2011
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Mar 27, 2012
- Five NATO soldiers die in Afghanistan: ISAF - Jul 31, 2011
- NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan - Sep 03, 2012
- NATO troop killed in Afghanistan - Jan 06, 2012
- Five NATO soldiers die in Afghan attacks - Jan 13, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in eastern Afghanistan - Aug 03, 2011
- Six NATO personnel die in Afghan chopper crash - Jan 20, 2012
- Wave of attacks kill seven NATO soldiers in Afghanistan - Mar 01, 2011
- Four civilians killed after NATO troops open fire on Afghan passenger bus - Apr 12, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- U.S. soldier detained after opening fire at Afghan civilians - Mar 11, 2012
- Two NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan blast - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: bno, border town, casualties, checkpoint, coordination center, domestic intelligence, intelligence agency, international security assistance, isaf, kandahar province, large explosion, national directorate, national police, nds, service members, southern afghanistan, southern kandahar, spokesperson, thursday morning, unknown number