Billings Tornado Causes Massive DestructionJune 21st, 2010 - 7:37 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
June 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A tornado ripped through the Billings area on Sunday around 5pm. The destructive storm was accompanied by golf ball sized hail in the area. The tornado was caused due to a severe thunderstorm according to reports.
Though no injuries have been reported yet, the authorities have said that there will be a major power blackout in Billings and Lockwood area. The people have also been warned about drowned lines and poles. The restoration activity is underway.
Witnesses of the tornado said that the tornado lingered over the Rimrock Auto Arena for 15 minutes and ripped apart the roof. The tornado also removed roof of an auto-glass shop and left the building with only the walls. The roof was discovered in a nearby creek.
The storm was also followed by golf ball sized hail in the Billings area. The after scenes in Montana shows the damage caused by the tornado. Hanging power lines and strewn debris is all over the area and the 10,000 seater sports arena looks completely devastated with the roof mostly ripped apart.
Trooper Toman Baukema of the Montana Highway Patrol who witnessed the tornado said that it touched down and went up several times. He added that the authorities were concerned about damage to a nearby mall. Experts have been sent to the area to prevent any gas leakage situation in the mall area.
The auto arena that faced the brunt of the tornado’s fury hosted rodeos, monster truck shows, concerts and even high school graduations. There were several employees inside the arena when the disaster struck but fortunately none of them are reportedly injured.
- Tornado Hits Wadena, Extensive Damage In Albert Lea - Jun 18, 2010
- 4 killed in Branson Tornado - Feb 29, 2012
- Tornado Rips Through Dundee, Creates Havoc - Jun 07, 2010
- Tornadoes slam Texas - Apr 05, 2012
- Storm leaves 12 dead in Argentina - Apr 06, 2012
- Oregon Tornado Leaves A Trail Of Massive Destruction - Dec 15, 2010
- Baby survives tornado ordeal in Raleigh - Apr 20, 2011
- Tornado Collapses Normal Life In Dundee, Michigan - Jun 07, 2010
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- 7 killed in Dundee tornado - Jun 07, 2010
- National Weather Service Issues Tornado Warning - Jun 06, 2010
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- Tornado Hits Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan And Staten Islands - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: auto glass shop, billings area, brunt, destructive storm, gas leakage, golf ball, massive destruction, meena, monster truck shows, montana highway patrol, nearby creek, nearby mall, power blackout, restoration activity, rimrock auto, rodeos, school graduations, severe thunderstorm, sized hail, sports arena