Biggest wave recorded off Ireland’s coastDecember 14th, 2011 - 9:15 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Donegal coast, Dec 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Meteorologists in Ireland have announced that the highest wave in the country’s history has been recorded. The 20.4-meter high wave was recorded at the coast of Donegal on Tuesday. The wave was forced by a fierce storm that battered the country on Tuesday.
Meteorologists reported that, “At 14.00 today(Tuesday) the M4 weather buoy off the Donegal coast recorded a maximum wave height of 20.4 metres which is the highest maximum wave recorded in Irish waters.”
The country has been placed on alert following strong winds reaching speed of 87mph. People have been urged to stay away from the coast as much as possible. Officials were expecting the storm to die down on Tuesday night. Meteorologists still fear that another storm could form later one. Officials are hanging on to the prediction that storm might miss the country at the south.
The Iris coastguard has warned that the weather is developing into dangerous conditions. The people have been warned to stay away from the coasts because of the storm.
Officials say the second storm is currently on the Atlantic and it is expected to approach later in Thursday. The storm also threatens Scotland and some other parts of the United Kingdom.
- Tropical depression forms in the western Caribbean Sea, heads for Honduras - Aug 19, 2011
- Tropical storm Sean could soon become a hurricane - Nov 10, 2011
- Dora weakens to Category 1 Hurricane - Jul 22, 2011
- Tropical Storm Hermine hits northeastern Mexico, Texas - Sep 07, 2010
- 'European monsoon' batters Britain - Jun 08, 2012
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Tropical storm Katia strengthens - Aug 30, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Tropical Storm Karl to hit Yucatan Peninsula, bringing sustained winds of up to 65 mph - Sep 15, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Hurricane Katia weakens to category 3 storm - Sep 06, 2011
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Australian Cyclone Yasi Downgrades To Category 1 Storm, Expected To Bring Flood In Queensland - Feb 03, 2011
- Tropical Depression Seven forms in the eastern Atlantic, set to become hurricane - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: coastguard, coasts, dangerous conditions, donegal, highest wave, ireland, irish waters, m4, maximum wave, meteorologists, scotland, strong winds, tuesday night, united kingdom, wave height, weather