‘Balloon boy’ father called FAA, then 9NEWS, before calling 9-1-1October 17th, 2009 - 2:09 am ICT by BNO News
FORT COLLINS, COLORADO (BNO NEWS) — The mystery surrounding “balloon boy” Falcon Heene continues to deepen, but authorities say they have no indication it was a hoax.
On Friday afternoon, Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden held a news conference to shed more light on Thursday’s incident. Alderden said some doubts had emerged following a CNN interview in which Falcon said they had done it “for the show”, but said it had no other indication to believe the parents are lying.
Alderden further said that Falcon’s father, Richard, first called the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), then 9NEWS, and then 9-1-1. Alderden said Richard believed that 9NEWS could quickly send a helicopter to track down the flying saucer-like balloon.
But the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on Friday told BNO News that they were first notified by 9NEWS, according to spokesman Mike Fergus. Fergus said he received a phone call from 9NEWS with the information that a six-year-old boy was believed to be aboard a small balloon.
Fergus said he informed the control tower after the call from 9NEWS, who then notified other state agencies. Although he was not aware of any phone call from Falcon’s father, Fergus said his call may have gone to another facility of the Federal Aviation Administration. He did also not know if the control tower was already aware of the incident when he called them.
Allen Kenitzer, also a spokesman for the FAA, said the phone call would be part of an investigation that the agency is conducting. Kenitzer refused to give more information on the reason for the investigation because it is still ongoing. “Every time something happens with things that fly we investigate,” he said.
A spokeswoman for the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office, when asked about the sheriff’s remarks during the conference, said they had no confirmation that Richard Heene actually made the call to the FAA. “I’m not sure what to say, I guess we took his word for it,” the spokeswoman said.
- Balloon-boy case bursts open in US - Oct 18, 2009
- Balloon boy's dad Richard Heene calls the sheriff a liar - Jan 11, 2010
- Charges likely against Balloon Boy parents Richard & Mayumi Heene - Oct 20, 2009
- Charges likely against Balloon Boy's father Richard Heene - Oct 20, 2009
- Balloon Boy's parents to plead guilty - Nov 13, 2009
- Co-conspirators likely in the Balloon boy hoax saga - Oct 19, 2009
- Small plane carrying two crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida - May 16, 2010
- Family Of Balloon Boy Moves To Florida - Sep 05, 2010
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Balloon Boy's Father Denies Hoax Charges - Oct 17, 2009
- Officials investigate "balloon boy" story - Oct 16, 2009
- Balloon Boy's Father Puts End To Son's Misery - Oct 18, 2009
- Heene's family lawyer David Lane expects them to be charged - Oct 21, 2009
- Balloon Boy's parents finally get their balloon back - May 16, 2010
- Colorado Sheriff confirms balloon boy incident was hoax - Oct 19, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,