Australia rallies for vote for Super TrawlerSeptember 12th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sydney, Sept 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) In Sydney the hopes of stopping a super trawler from fishing in Australia’s water were turned down as those in favor of the fishing expressed their disregard for being banned from fishing by Australia.
The minister for environment Mr. Tony Burke says that investigations will be conducted so as to determine the course of the fishing by the Dutch trawler. The trawler is to stop fishing till a scientific conclusion of the reason for its fishing had been agreed on. This move was in support of a community based policy against the 9500 tones trawler that was said to be overfishing as well as catching other sea animals with its nets.
On the other hand, the opposition in Australia said that it would not support the move and it described these efforts to be a ‘Trojan horse operation.’ This was said on Wednesday by the opposition conservatives.
Its spokesman Greg Hunt added that the introduction of these laws was not right and termed it as ‘extraordinary, arbitrary and unfettered.’ He also went on to say that the position that the opposition was in was not clear whether it was in support of new ministerial power level the move or not.
- Australia shouldn't have a big population: Gillard - Jun 27, 2010
- Australia throws spanner in GVK's $6.4-bn coal mine project - Jun 05, 2012
- No fish will be left to catch, expert warns Bangladesh - Feb 01, 2011
- Goa mining lobby flexes muscle, blocks river traffic - Oct 12, 2011
- Julia Gillard returns as Australian PM (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Kerala's trawling ban begins June 15; fish to be dearer - May 30, 2011
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
- Warming climate damaging reefs, impacting fish - Jul 11, 2012
- One seat to go: Gillard and Abbott set to claim 73 each - Aug 23, 2010
- Unattached MPs hold key in Australia's new parliament - Aug 23, 2010
- Steve Murawski Asserts That Overfishing In America Has Come To A Close After A Lengthy Time - Jan 11, 2011
- Salmonella bugs could prevent food poisoning - Apr 13, 2012
- Bangladesh issues cyclone alert - Dec 29, 2011
- Solomon Burke Passes Away - Oct 12, 2010
- Parrotfish play vital role in preserving coral reefs - Dec 12, 2011