Auschwitz Victims Honored On Holocaust Remembrance DayJanuary 27th, 2010 - 10:08 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Jan 27, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Today being the International Holocaust Remembrance Day, hundreds of elderly survivors of the former concentration camp of Auschwitz, gathered at the death camp in a bid to mark the 65th anniversary of its liberation. The survivors went to the barracks and watchtowers of the former concentration camp along with the neighboring camp of Birkenau, which witnessed the death of millions of Jews in the hands of the Nazis during the Second World War.
With the aim of honoring the innocent victims, the ceremony was widely attended by Auschwitz survivors, Soviet veterans as well as a host of other eminent personalities. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu joined other prominent Polish leaders for the ceremonies that were arranged at the Birkenau concentration camp, which was the site of the death of around 1 million Jews under the Nazi forces.
At the occasion, Shimon Peres, the Israeli President reiterated that the surviving perpetrators who carried out the heinous crime should be brought to book and justice should be meted out to the victims of the holocaust.
The International Holocaust Remembrance Day was designated by the United Nations in the year 2005 as a day to remember the victims of the Holocaust. The remembrance day also coincides with the day the concentration camps were liberated by the Soviet troops in the year 1945. An estimated 1.1 million people mainly comprising Jews were brutally killed in the death camp in the gas chambers or by shootings, hanging, starvation and by so-called medical ‘experiments’, among others.
Auschwitz now stands as a museum to commemorate the innocent victims who lost their lives there at the hands of the Nazi forces.
- Germany to pay over 50 million pounds to preserve World War II death camp - Dec 18, 2010
- UN holds Holocaust memorial ceremony - Jan 28, 2012
- Nazi camp atrocities on display in Shanghai - Apr 19, 2012
- German paper gives Auschwitz blueprints to Israel PM - Aug 28, 2009
- Holocaust studies lack human rights element, says EU - Jan 26, 2010
- Pope recalls cruelty in Auschwitz Nazi camp - Jan 27, 2010
- Fire At A Former Death Camp Of The Nazis In Poland Destroys The Shoes Of The Holocaust Victims - Aug 11, 2010
- Stolen Auschwitz sign found after three days - Dec 21, 2009
- World's most wanted Nazi held at 97 - Jul 19, 2012
- President Patil pays homage to the victims of the Auschwitz concentration camp - Apr 26, 2009
- Israeli pageant crowns Miss Holocaust Survivor - Jun 29, 2012
- Bin Laden news comes on anniversary after 'Mission Accomplished" - May 02, 2011
- Polish construction workers find letter written by Auschwitz prisoners - Apr 28, 2009
- Sign stolen from Nazi-era concentration camp found in Poland - Dec 21, 2009
- March of Living honours Holocaust victims - Apr 21, 2009
Tags: 65th anniversary, auschwitz survivors, benjamin netanyahu, birkenau concentration camp, concentration camps, eminent personalities, gas chambers, gina gomez, holocaust remembrance day, international holocaust remembrance, international holocaust remembrance day, israeli president, israeli prime minister, minister benjamin netanyahu, nazi forces, polish leaders, prime minister benjamin, remembrance day, shimon peres, victims of the holocaust