At least one dead in Argentina quake

February 28th, 2010 - 3:22 am ICT by BNO News  

SALTA, ARGENTINA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck Argentina’s Salta Province on Saturday, seismologists said, killing at least one person.

The 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck about 15 miles (20 km) northwest of Salta, the capital city of the country’s Salta Province. It struck around 12.45 p.m. local time (15.45 GMT) at a depth of 23.7 miles (38.2 km).

The Buenos Aires Herald reported that the earthquake killed an eight-year-old boy when a wall collapsed in Salta city, while several others were injured.

Even though media reports initially said the earthquake was an aftershock from an 8.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Chile earlier on Saturday, a seismologist at the U.S. Geological Survey denied that.

The seismologist said the earthquake struck too far away from Chile’s epicenter to be an aftershock. However, he said, the earthquake in Argentina may have been triggered by the earthquake in Chile. “We don’t know yet, but its not an aftershock.”

The seismologist explained that aftershocks are not the same as an earthquake-triggered earthquake.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World News |

Subscribe