At least one dead after small plane crashes near airport in South CarolinaJuly 20th, 2010 - 3:07 am ICT by BNO News
MOUNT PLEASANT, SOUTH CAROLINA (BNO NEWS) — A small plane crashed near an airport in South Carolina on Monday, killing at least one person, federal and local authorities said.
The Comp Air 8 aircraft crashed around 2 p.m. local time near 700 Faison Road in Mount Pleasant, a suburban town in Charleston County, according to Lynn Lunsford, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
At least one person was confirmed to have been killed, but it was not immediately clear if any other people were on board. A Comp Air 8 aircraft is typically capable of carrying one pilot and seven passengers.
“[The] aircraft is in a marsh and is difficult to reach,” Lunsford said. A spokesman for the Mount Pleasant Police Department said there was heavy smoke at the crash site. “But [the Fire Department] has it contained,” he added.
A spokeswoman for the Charleston County Aviation Authority confirmed a plane had gone down, but had no additional information.
Federal records showed the plane was registered to Bogco Aviation, Inc. out of Wilmington, Delaware. A phone number for the company could not immediately be located, and a search showed hundreds of companies were located at the same address.
Further details were not immediately available.
- Plane crash kills 4 at New Mexico airport - Apr 03, 2011
- Small plane crashes into Austin building - Feb 18, 2010
- Helicopter crashes near Gulf of Mexico oil rig platform - May 29, 2012
- Pilot injured after small plane crashes near Lincoln County, Oklahoma airport - May 07, 2010
- Two killed after small plane crashes near Dayton, OH airport - Apr 02, 2010
- Small passenger plane crashes in Texas - Oct 07, 2009
- Small plane crashes into Austin building, reports of people trapped - Feb 18, 2010
- Business jet crashes at airport in North Carolina, three feared killed - Mar 16, 2012
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Two killed in small plane crash in US - Feb 22, 2012
- Two small planes collide over central Louisiana - Oct 11, 2009
- Plane crash in Grand Canyon leaves 2 dead - Aug 01, 2011
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- 3 Dead In Tucson Plane Crash - Jul 29, 2010
- Several injured after small plane crashes into Austin office building - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: aviation authority, aviation inc, bno, charleston county, comp air, crash site, federal aviation administration, fire department, heavy smoke, local authorities, local time, marsh, mount pleasant police department, mount pleasant south carolina, pleasant police department, small plane crashes, spokesman, spokeswoman, suburban town, wilmington delaware