At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in PhilippinesFebruary 14th, 2011 - 12:27 am ICT by BNO News
BASILAN, PHILIPPINES (BNO NEWS) — At least 7 people, including soldiers and militants, were killed during Saturday’s clashes in the southern region of the Philippines, local media reported Sunday.
Officials told the Mindanao Examiner that national troops clashed with Abu Sayyaf militants for around three hours in the restive island province of Basilan - specifically in the village of Baiwas, which is located in the town of Sumisip - during a military operation that resulted in the capture of a militant camp.
According to reports, at least two soldiers were killed and an Abu Sayyaf sub-leader, Juhaiber Alamsirul, were among five militants also killed in the fighting, which was the culmination of an extensive intelligence operation that successfully located the camp.
The camp, which reportedly houses up to 50 militants, has seven bunkers, and during the battle, around 30 militants faced off Filipino troops.
Five soldiers and an undetermined number of militants were also wounded in the fighting. The wounded soldiers were evacuated quickly to a military hospital in Zamboanga where they are currently being treated, said Brigadier General Nicanor Dolojan, commander of military forces in Basilan.
Dolojan said troops also seized several bandoleers, one set of police uniform, three cell phones, and hand-held radio transceivers, two magazines for M14 rifle, ammunition, and seven camouflage hammocks from the Abu Sayyaf camp.
Early in the week, security forces killed another Abu Sayyaf sub-leader, Suhud Tanadjalin, in a raid at his hideout in Basilan’s Tuburan town.
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Over 40 killed in Philippines fighting - Aug 13, 2009
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Five militants killed in Philippines - Nov 03, 2009
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines escapes, to return home (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Three killed in Philippines ambush - Apr 06, 2009
- Militants free seven abducted workers in Philippines - Dec 09, 2008
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines - Feb 13, 2009
- Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clash - Jun 11, 2009
- Indian who dodged Philippine rebels to return by Tuesday - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: abu sayyaf, bandoleers, basilan philippines, brigadier general, filipino troops, intelligence operation, island province, military hospital, military operation, mindanao, police uniform, province of basilan, radio transceivers, region of the philippines, rifle ammunition, tuburan, two soldiers, undetermined number, wounded soldiers, zamboanga