At least 475 houses submerged by flooding in BaliFebruary 24th, 2011 - 1:38 am ICT by BNO News
BALI, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — At least 475 houses on Wednesday were submerged due to the severe flooding that hit the Indonesian Island province of Bali, the Antara news agency reported,
Three villages, Tinga-Tinga, Celukan Bawang, and Pengulon, were struck by heavy rains in Bali from Tuesday evening to Wednesday morning. The villages are located in Buleleng district.
In Pengulon, 108 houses were submerged by flooding and residents were taken to the village head’s office for refugee. A 1.5 meter-high flood water covered 47 houses in Tinga-Tinga village.
In addition, a school collapsed after being carried by the flood water currents, as informed by Nyoman Astasemadi, Head of Buleleng district’s disaster management division.
However, the Celukan Bawang village was the most affected as 320 houses were inundated and one house was buried due to a landslide. The extreme weather was caused by the high density of rainfalls in Gerokgak subdistrict’s areas.
The flooding also destroyed a 10-meter-long bridge and disrupted transportation between Pengulon and Patas villages. The extreme weather conditions in the region are expected to last until April 2011.
“We cannot yet calculate the precise amount of material losses that locals have suffered in this natural disaster,” added Astasemadi.
- Indonesia's first gay medical clinic opens in Bali - Nov 03, 2011
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Russia mourns flood deaths - Jul 09, 2012
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011
- More flood warnings for Pakistan, Jacobabab threatened - Aug 16, 2010
- It'll be a rainy June in Britain - Jun 10, 2012
- Tech in tourism is PATA focus in 2011 - Sep 07, 2011
- Crops damaged in two Jharkhand districts - Sep 12, 2011
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Heavy monsoon rain kills at least 18 in southeast Pakistan - Aug 13, 2011
- Flood situation grim in Bihar - Sep 27, 2011
- Assam flood situation improves, but toll rises - Jul 06, 2012
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: antara, antara news agency, bali bali, bali indonesia, bno, celukan bawang, disaster management, extreme weather conditions, flood water, heavy rains, high density, indonesian island, island province, long bridge, management division, material losses, natural disaster, patas, rainfalls, water currents