At least 2 killed, 2 missing after ships collide off TaiwanOctober 28th, 2011 - 10:46 pm ICT by BNO News
TAIPEI, TAIWAN (BNO NEWS) — At least two people were confirmed dead while two others remain missing after two ships collided on Friday off the western coast of Taiwan, officials said.
The collision, between the 997-ton ‘Te Hsing’ and the 34,610-ton ‘Taroko’ Liberian-registered vessel, happened at around 3:30 a.m. local time some 22 nautical miles (40.7 kilometers) off Penghu Island, which is an archipelago located off the western coast of Taiwan.
According to reports, the Te Hsing, which was carrying 13 crew members - eight Taiwanese, four Indonesian, and one Burmese - took off from Kaohsiung in southwestern Taiwan and was traveling toward the Taiwan-held island of Kinmen off China’s southeastern coast.
Kaohsiung Harbor Bureau chief secretary Chang Kuo-ming confirmed that a Taiwanese and one Indonesian crew member had died at the scene after the collision. In addition, the captain of the vessel, a Taiwanese national, and another Indonesian have been reported missing.
Kuo-ming noted that the first 72 hours of search and rescue operations are the most crucial, adding that personnel were already working with the Ministry of National Defense and the Coast Guard Administration.
Meanwhile, crew members of the Taroko vessel, which was on its way from Hong Kong to Taichung Harbor in central Taiwan, were reported safe, officials from the Kaohsiung Harbor Bureau told the state-run Central News Agency.
- Eleven rescued after Hong Kong cargo ship sinks off Japan - Apr 06, 2012
- Panamanian freighter sends out SOS near Taiwan during typhoon - Oct 05, 2009
- Now, a Lady Gaga Day! - Jun 18, 2011
- Ship with 24 Chinese crew sinks off Philippines - Dec 04, 2010
- Taiwan executes five convicted murderers - Mar 05, 2011
- China rejects Japan's demand for damaged vessels' reimbursement - Feb 12, 2011
- Coast Guard rescues one person from disabled sailing vessel off California - Apr 12, 2010
- Pirates hijack Taiwanese fishing ship off Seychelles - May 08, 2010
- Somali pirates release Taiwanese vessel after nearly a year - Jan 28, 2011
- Hijacked oil tanker has Indians among crew (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Oil spill from grounded ship in Lakshadweep prevented - Aug 19, 2010
- Taiwan Air Force jet crashes (Lead) - Jul 15, 2009
- 30 rescued from sinking cargo ship off Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Somali pirates free Taiwanese fishing vessel - Feb 11, 2010
- Coast guard rescue nine crewmen from sinking ship - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: bno, bureau chief, burmese, central news agency, central taiwan, chang kuo, chief secretary, crew member, crew members, hsing, kaohsiung harbor, kinmen, nautical miles, penghu, rescue operations, southeastern coast, taipei taiwan, taiwan officials, taiwan taipei, two ships