Assistant Secretary Brimmer to lead US delegation to the UN-Alliance of Civilizations Forum in BrazilMay 27th, 2010 - 2:51 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) – Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs Esther Brimmer will lead the United States delegation to the UN-Alliance of Civilizations (AoC) Forum on May 28-29 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Earlier this month, the State Department announced that the U.S. will join the Alliance of Civilizations Group of Friends, marking the first time the U.S. will attend as a Group of Friends member. The U.S. decided to join the Alliance to further the AoC’s goals of improved understanding and cooperation among nations and people in order to counter the forces that fuel polarization and extremism.
The goals of the Alliance are similar to President Obama’s vision of active U.S. engagement with other nations and international organizations to advance American security interests and meet the global challenges of the 21st century.
The Alliance of Civilizations was formed to explore the roots of polarization between societies and cultures, and to recommend a practical program of action to address this issue. In 2009, the AoC Forum took place in Istanbul, Turkey. This was the second forum celebrated, the first one was held in Madrid, Spain, in 2008.
Dr. Brimmer will also hold an informal meeting with U.S.-based non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other Americans attending the Forum, in order to share ideas and discuss the nation’s involvement in the Alliance.
- U.S. State Department begins first Annual U.S.-African Union High Level Bilateral Meetings - Apr 22, 2010
- Pak media accused of "churning out anti-American conspiracy theories" - Mar 01, 2011
- 'PML-N a "pro-American" party', Nawaz, Nisar told US envoy: WikiLeaks - Dec 01, 2010
- India to join US meet on reducing offshore drilling risks - Apr 05, 2011
- U.S. State Department issues Travel Warning for Afghanistan - Aug 13, 2010
- India-US higher education summit in October - Jul 19, 2011
- U.S. gov't refuses to take Maoist party off terrorism lists despite election win - Aug 30, 2011
- Indian firms responsible for creating jobs in US - Mar 31, 2011
- Wikileaks releases classified CIA memo about hypothetical perception of U.S. as terror exporter - Aug 26, 2010
- Anand Sharma to attend 3rd CICA Summit in Istanbul - Jun 06, 2010
- Chinese President Hu urges U.S. Congress to facilitate bilateral relations - Jan 21, 2011
- Glenn Beck's honor rally in front of Lincoln Memorial causes widespread controversy - Aug 28, 2010
- Secretary Clinton to travel to Latin America - May 28, 2010
- International community expresses alarm after raids on NGOs in Egypt - Jan 01, 2012
- Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs to travel to Indonesia - May 18, 2010
Tags: alliance of civilizations, american security, assistant secretary, bno, de janeiro brazil, global challenges, governmental organizations, international organization affairs, international organizations, istanbul turkey, madrid spain, news assistant, obama, polarization, rio de janeiro, rio de janeiro brazil, s vision, second forum, security interests, share ideas