Assassination-cell leader and four more captured by Iraqi Security ForcesFebruary 12th, 2010 - 1:11 am ICT by BNO News
BAGHDAD, IRAQ – An assassination-cell leader and four additional suspected terrorists were captured Thursday by Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) in Baghdad, authorities said.
A three joint security operations was conducted in Baghdad and northern Iraq to prevent attacks and thwart operations of the al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) explosives network.
The security operations were performed by ISF and U.S. advisors, searching residential building in western Baghdad, Abu Ghraib, which is located about 15 km west of Baghdad, and in a rural area located approximately 70 km south of Kirkuk where the 3rd Emergency Response Unit also assisted.
The operations resulted in the arrest of a wanted leader, a wanted AQI member, another terrorist suspect, and numerous electronic components often used to make improvised-explosive device (IED) and IED initiators.
Following the evidence gathered in the operations, Iraqi Police were able to arrest a suspected criminal associate of a warranted individual, who had been providing safe haven for visiting AQI leaders.
- Iraqi Security Forces arrested six-suspected al-Qaeda terrorists - Mar 05, 2010
- Eight suspected terrorists linked to Al-Qaeda in Iraq arrested - Mar 04, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest al-Qaeda in Iraq leader and eight additional suspects - Mar 16, 2010
- Iraqi security forces arrest three suspected al-Qaeda in Iraq members - Jan 11, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest five suspected Al-Qaeda terrorists - Jan 16, 2010
- Three al-Qaeda in Iraq suspects arrested - Apr 19, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest six terrorist suspects - Feb 19, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest four al-Qaeda in Iraq associates - May 13, 2010
- Al-Qaeda in Iraq member and eight associates arrested - Apr 27, 2010
- Suspected Al-Qaeda leader arrested in west Mosul, Iraq - Jun 10, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest suspected terrorist - Apr 15, 2010
- Two Al-Qaeda in Iraq members and 4 associates arrested - May 11, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest al-Qaeda leader and five others - Apr 07, 2010
- 14 suspects of al-Qaeda in Iraq arrested - Feb 11, 2010
- Al-Qaeda cell leader and five others arrested in Iraq - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: abu ghraib, al qaeda, al qaeda in iraq, aqi, baghdad iraq, cell leader, electronic components, emergency response unit, explosive device, explosives, iraqi police, iraqi security, kirkuk, northern iraq, residential building, rural area, safe haven, security forces, security operations, suspected terrorists