Arrest made after death threats against retired U.S. Congresswoman Diane WatsonJanuary 29th, 2011 - 3:42 pm ICT by BNO News
LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) — A 42-year old South Los Angeles man was arrested by Sheriff’s Major Crimes Bureau detectives on Friday morning after a series of recent phone calls threatening to kill retired U.S. Congresswoman Diane Watson, police said on Saturday.
Sheron Nelson, a 42-year old African-American man was arrested in South Los Angeles at the office of his state parole agent. His residence was then searched, revealing numerous stolen electronic items at the property.
“We recovered the phone used to make the calls to Congresswoman Watson. It belonged to the suspect. Also, during questioning, he implicated himself,” said Lieutenant Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Nelson was later booked at the Century Regional Detention Facility for making felony terrorist threats against retired Congresswoman Watson, as well as for felony identity theft. Because he is on parole for an unrelated terrorist threats conviction, Nelson is not eligible for bail.
The motive of the suspect’s threats and other aspects of the case are still under investigation by the Major Crimes Bureau of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the department said.
The arrest came only three weeks after U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was critically injured in an attempted assassination in Tucson, Arizona. She survived and is recovering, but six other people were killed.
On January 12, 32-year-old Charles Turner Habermann of Palm Springs, California was arrested after being charged with making death threats against Washington Democratic Congressman Jim McDermott, prosecutors said.
- Feds arrest, charge California man with threatening WA Congressman McDermott - Jan 13, 2011
- Six dead, U.S. Congresswoman Giffords among at least 12 injured in Az. shooting - Jan 09, 2011
- U.S. Congresswoman Giffords, six others, dead in Arizona mass shooting - Jan 09, 2011
- US Police looking for second Arizona shooting suspect - Jan 09, 2011
- Stolen car found on eBay after 42 years - Jul 16, 2012
- Gabrielle Giffords recovering from her skull wound - May 19, 2011
- Missing Southern California cult members found 'alive and well' - Sep 20, 2010
- Arizona Shooting Victim Gabrielle Giffords Responding To Commands, Doctors Say - Jan 10, 2011
- U.S. Marshals arrest former Florida deputy who killed a deputy in 1986 - Apr 21, 2010
- Shot Congresswoman now singing, enjoying matzo ball soup - Mar 04, 2011
- Canadian Celebrity, Dean McDermott, Becomes A Citizen Of The US - Aug 22, 2010
- Andrew Thomas Gallo Sentenced To 51 Years - Dec 24, 2010
- Tattoo solves seven-year-old murder case - Apr 23, 2011
- Tori Spelling rushed to hospital - Oct 31, 2011
- Michael Lohan arrested for domestic violence - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: african american man, attempted assassination, bno, century regional detention facility, charles turner, congressman jim mcdermott, congresswoman diane watson, congresswoman gabrielle giffords, death threats, democratic congressman, diane watson, gabrielle giffords, habermann, jim mcdermott, los angeles county sheriff, palm springs california, parole agent, sheron, state parole, wegener