Armed Oregon man demands to be shot and confronts police officerApril 16th, 2010 - 1:22 am ICT by BNO News
PORTLAND, OREGON (BNO NEWS) – An armed man confronted an Oregon police officer Thursday morning, local authorities said.
Justin Adam Niehus, 33, of Newberg, Oregon, confronted a local police officer at around 3:45 a.m., local time, after finishing a walk-through of Nap’s Thriftway, a local grocery store, as a normal part of his shift activities between calls. Just as the officer was leaving, Niehus challenged and demanded the officer to shoot and kill him.
During the first seconds of the confrontation, Niehus reportedly displayed a handgun in a belt holster and at one point, removed it from the holster, pointing the firearm at himself several times, but reportedly not at the officer.
After a standoff lasting about 90 minutes, the man was taken into custody, and there were no serious injuries reported.
Niehus was treated at a local hospital for a minor injury received during the arrest, and he will be charged with felon in possession of a firearm, while other charges are pending. He will also be transported to the Yamhill County Corrections Facility, McMinnville, but the date and time is still not set.
As a precaution, the Oregon State Police SWAT team was planning to assist in case the negotiations with Niehus were unsuccessful, but the team was canceled after Niehus was arrested.
Newberg-Dundee officers were assisted by deputies from the Yamhill County Sheriff’s Office, Oregon State Police troopers.
- Waterloo, IA felon sentenced for possession of a firearm - Mar 04, 2010
- 16-year-old charged in Wisconsin murder of elderly Sikh - Aug 18, 2012
- Driver dies in Roseburg, OR after crashing into police car - Feb 16, 2010
- Six-year-old girl commits suicide in US - Apr 09, 2010
- Demario Atwater sentenced to life in prison for murdering college student - Sep 24, 2010
- Man shoots woman, kills self at Wal-Mart centre - Feb 23, 2012
- Man broke into home to watch TV - Oct 31, 2011
- Body found in Oregon identified as missing tsunami victim - Apr 12, 2011
- Oregon police detective arrested for domestic violence - Feb 18, 2010
- FBI thwarts terrorist bombing attempt at Portland holiday tree lighting - Nov 27, 2010
- Two West Virginia felons sentenced on firearms charges - Mar 12, 2010
- Cairo, Illinois felon pleads guilty to unlawful possession of a gun - Jan 13, 2010
- Turner, OR man arraigned for possessing 125 marijuana plants - Sep 15, 2010
- 18-month-old child accidently run over by vehicle - Jan 20, 2010
- Rensselaer, NY man pleads guilty to bank robbery - Feb 13, 2010
Tags: armed man, belt holster, bno, deputies, felon, handgun, local authorities, local grocery store, local hospital, mcminnville, newberg oregon, oregon man, oregon police, oregon state police, police officer, police swat team, standoff, thriftway, thursday morning, yamhill county sheriff