Arizona first state to ask for medicaid waiverJanuary 26th, 2011 - 11:27 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, Jan 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Arizona became the first state in the United States to ask for Medicaid waiver.
On Tuesday, the state made a request to the federal state in a 19-page document that the state should be excused from taking care of the Medicaid of some hundreds of thousands of citizens in the state. The move, as is explained in the document is meant to reduce the huge budget deficit that the state is struggling to deal with.
The state’s governor, Jan Brewer indicated that she the state is currently facing a budget deficit of more that $760 million in the current fiscal year and they project that the state will be dealing with $1.15 million budget deficit in 2012.
The governor called on the federal government to give the state the “flexibility” that the state needs to get out of its difficult financial situation.
Gov. Brewer said that, “I am very optimistic that the federal government will step up…can’t imagine..[the federal government]completely shut the door on us.”
Brewer does not have a contingency plan, should the proposal be denied. If the proposal is accepted, about 280,000 recipients of Medicaid and Medicare will be affected.
- Defiant Obama seeks new taxes on wealthy to cut debt - Sep 20, 2011
- You shouldn't have to go India for cheap healthcare: Obama - Apr 20, 2011
- Governor of Arizona proposes extensive budget cuts in new plan - Jan 16, 2010
- Governor Paterson releases amendments Executive Budget - Feb 10, 2010
- Obama draws battle lines with $4 trillion deficit reduction plan (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Republicans reject tax breaks cut for wealthy - Sep 13, 2011
- US Congress approves 'historic' health care overhaul bill - Mar 22, 2010
- Illegal Aliens Called 'Drug Mules' By Arizona Governor, Controversy Sparks - Jun 28, 2010
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- Nobel economics laureates urge fiscal union for Eurozone - Oct 11, 2011
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Obama requests $1.2 trillion rise in borrowing limit - Jan 13, 2012
- Barack Obama planning some changes in the Pell Grant program - Feb 14, 2011
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- US budget deficit hits $198 bn in March - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: budget deficit, citizens, contingency plan, current fiscal year, federal government, financial situation, flexibility, hundreds of thousands, medicaid, medicaid waiver, medicare, page document, proposal, united states, washington dc