Argentina struck by 6.2 magnitude earthquakeOctober 6th, 2011 - 10:55 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Buenos Aires, Oct 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck Argentina on Thursday. The quake has been described by some residents as the “strongest” they have felt in years. There are no immediate reports of deaths or injuries though witnesses say the quake has caused damage.
The epicenter of the quake was near the regions of Jujuy and Salta. Officials say the quake struck at a depth of 9.5 kilometers and the strongest impact was felt in the area of San Pedro. Several people ran outside buildings when the quake struck. The Associated Press reports that schools and houses were emptied as people rushed to open spaces.
Earlier in the year, Japan experienced what could probably be described as one of the strongest earthquakes in recent years when a magnitude 9.0 quake struck the country. About 25,000 people perished after the quake triggered a deadly tsunami in the country’s coastal regions. The quake also damaged the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant and sent radiations into the atmosphere.
Last month, flurry of quakes struck in the United States. Though no injuries or deaths were recorded in the US quakes, the strongest of the quakes left the US Memorial cracked.
Details about the latest quake are emerging from Argentina.
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- Quake hits Argentina - Oct 07, 2011
- Japan mourns one month after massive earthquake - Apr 11, 2011
- At least one dead in Argentina quake - Feb 28, 2010
- 6.4 Earthquake hits off Japan's east coast - Jun 18, 2012
- Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damage - Feb 27, 2012
- Chronology of world's major quakes since 1900 - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Moderate earthquake hits west Turkey, 2 killed - May 20, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Australia, no damage - Mar 24, 2012
- Washington monument closed indefinitely due to cracks - Aug 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes the U.S. East Coast, widely felt - Aug 24, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: 5 kilometers, aires, argentina, atmosphere, coastal regions, deadly tsunami, deaths, epicenter, fukushima, japan, magnitude 9, magnitude earthquake, nuclear plant, quake, quakes, radiations, san pedro, strongest earthquakes, tsunami, united states