Argentina oil refinery explosion kills 1August 10th, 2011 - 8:05 pm ICT by BNO News
BAHIA BLANCA, ARGENTINA (BNO NEWS) — At least one person was killed after an oil refinery exploded early Wednesday morning in southeastern Argentina, local authorities said.
The explosion took place at around 1 a.m. local time at a Petrobras oil refinery in Bahia Blanca, a city located in the south-west of the province of Buenos Aires, local firefighters said. The blast occurred at one of the refinery’s control centers, killing a 44-year-old worker who was at the site of the explosion.
In addition, another worker, aged 47, was injured, suffering severe burns. Emergency teams transported him to a local hospital. The victims names have not been released.
According to reports, the situation is currently under control and the explosion did not affect the main facilities of the refinery. The cause of the accident was not immediately known, and the municipality of Bahia Blanca ordered the temporary suspension of the refinery’s operations while an investigation is carried out. It also requested the Provincial Organization of Sustainable Development to investigate the incident.
- Woman to head Brazilian oil giant - Jan 24, 2012
- Argentina orders lowering of wholesale diesel prices - Jan 28, 2012
- Dormitory fire kills five people in southwest China - Feb 02, 2011
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Oil platform in South Atlantic on fire - Sep 09, 2010
- 2 dead, 16 injured after explosion in Foxconn factory in southwest China - May 21, 2011
- Audio recording in Argentina train accident released - Feb 27, 2012
- Seven die in Venezuelan refinery blast - Aug 25, 2012
- Three workers die in Brilon, Germany plant blast - Feb 06, 2010
- Loss of permit in Argentina a surprise: Petrobras - Apr 05, 2012
- Iraq's largest oil refinery shut down after attack - Feb 26, 2011
- Moderate earthquake rocks Spain, at least 7 dead - May 12, 2011
- Blast at southwest China fireworks factory kills at least six - Aug 22, 2010
- Brazil's Petrobras announces deep-water oil find - Jan 27, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant to invest $11 bn in Mexico - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: bahia blanca argentina, bno, emergency teams, firefighters, local authorities, local hospital, local time, municipality, oil refinery explosion, provincial organization, severe burns, sustainable development, wednesday morning