Anamika Veeramani Wins Bee ChampionshipJune 6th, 2010 - 7:14 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Washington, June 6, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Anamika Veeramani went on to become the third consecutive Indian -American to win the Bee Championship.
On Friday, the 14-year-old did not seem visibly nervous as she calmly proceeded with the challenge to spell the word “stromuhr” which is a medical term. She kept her hand behind and did not break into a smile until the trophy of the Bee Champion was handed over to her.
Anamika Veeramani of North Royalton, Ohio, not only received the prestigious trophy but also a cash prize of $40,000.
Anamika Veeramani had come up with flying colors from the very beginning of the spelling competition. On Friday, she survived the spelling round of “Juvia”, a Brazil nut. After the 3 and 1/2 minute commercial break which the winner said did not help her situation in any way and was rather “nerve-racking”, Anamika Veeramani returned to spell the decisive word.
After her win, Anamika Veeramani mentioned that the experience was “too surreal” and added that it was an amazing experience.
The Bee Championship title was won by Sameer Mishra in 2008 and Kavya Shivashankar in 2009. On Friday Kavya Shivashankar congratulated Anamika Veeramani onstage and mentioned that it is not the nationality that matter but the passion for words that count in Bee.
Anamika Veeramani said that all previous winners have acted as inspiration for her to make it big in the show. The winner has said to media sources that she would like to attend Harvard University and become a cardiovascular surgeon.
However, she also added that she is saddened by the fact that after the 8th grade there are no more spelling opportunities.
- Indian American teen wins 2010 US Spelling Bee contest - Jun 05, 2010
- Anamika Veeramani Becomes The Third Consecutive Indian-American To Conquer The Spelling Bee - Jun 06, 2010
- Indian-American teen wins Spelling Bee crown - Jun 05, 2010
- Indian-origin Ohio girl wins 83rd Scripps National Spelling Bee - Jun 05, 2010
- Indian-American wins US spelling contest for fifth year running (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Ohio 8th Grader Anamika Veeramani Wins Spelling Bee Championship 2010 - Jun 05, 2010
- Snigdha Nandipati wins fifth Spelling Bee crown for Indian-Americans (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Three Indian-American kids in Spelling Bee finals - Jun 01, 2012
- Sukanya Roy wins America's coveted spelling bee crown (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Kavya spells "ergasia" in Bee - May 30, 2009
- Indian-American Snigdha Nandipati is Spelling Bee champ (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Kavya Shivashankar, Scripps National Spelling Bee 2009 winner quits - May 29, 2009
- Kavya Shivashankar wins 82nd Spelling Bee championship - May 29, 2009
- Virginian 6-year-old Lori Anne Madison makes Spelling Bee history - Jun 01, 2012
- Kavya Shivashankar wins Scripps National Spelling Bee 2009 - May 29, 2009
Tags: anamika, brazil nut, cardiovascular surgeon, cash prize, champion, commercial break, flying colors, harvard university, inspiration, kar, kavya shivashankar, media sources, medical term, meena, mishra, nationality, north royalton ohio, prestigious trophy, smile, spelling competition