An Israeli archaeologists discovered a 2,000-year-old gold earringNovember 12th, 2008 - 1:28 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
An Israeli archaeologists have discovered a 2,000-year-old gold earring under a parking lot next to the walls of Jerusalem’s old city. The discover draws back to date just after the time of Christ, at the Roman period, said Mr Doron Ben-Ami, director of excavation at the site.
The piece was found in a destroyed Byzantine structure built several centuries after the jewelled earring was made. Unexpectedy discovered by the archeologists , the earrubf was placed in a corner of the Byzantine building while excavating. The experts were able to date the earring by comparing it to similar finds in Europe, where the Roman Empire also flourished.
The find is luxurious: A large pearl inlaid in gold with two drop pieces, each with an emerald and pearl set in gold.
Archaeologist Shimon Gibson, who was not involved in the dig, said the find was truly amazing, less because of its Roman origins than for its precious nature.
‘Jewellery is hardly preserved in archaeological context in Jerusalem,’ he said, because precious metals were often sold or melted down during the many historic takeovers of the city.
Mr Gibson dates the piece slightly later than the antiquities authority, to sometime between the second and fourth centuries A.D., he said its quality and beauty were impressive.
- 2,000-yr-old intact carving of Cupid discovered in Jerusalem - Aug 31, 2010
- Archaeologists discover third century mansion in City of David excavations - Aug 18, 2009
- Unique Aramaic inscription from first century found in Jerusalem - Jul 31, 2009
- Israeli archaeologists find ancient bread stamp - Jan 11, 2012
- Archaeologists find 1,300-year-old treasure in Israel - Dec 24, 2008
- Ancient Hebrew seal found in Jerusalem - May 02, 2012
- 1,800 year-old marble figurine found in Israel - Sep 23, 2009
- Remains of Iron Age dog guarding ancient treasure unearthed - Jan 27, 2011
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- Archaeologists find ancient swimming pool in Israel - Nov 23, 2010
- Archaeologists uncover ancient Roman bath in Syria - Oct 18, 2009
- Christ-era discovery suggests Turin Shroud is a hoax - Dec 16, 2009
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
- Unique 10th century Byzantine seal discovered in Bulgaria - Aug 24, 2009
- Greek goddess of fortune found at Sussita - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: antiquities authority, archaeological context, archaeologist, archaeologists, archeologists, doron, drop pieces, emerald, excavation, gold earring, jewellery, mr gibson, parking lot, precious metals, roman empire, roman origins, roman period, shimon gibson, takeovers, walls of jerusalem