Amnesty International demands justice for victims of Egypt’s January revolution

May 20th, 2011 - 3:18 am ICT by BNO News  

LONDON (BNO NEWS) — At least 840 people were killed and over 6,000 people were injured in the violent repression that took place during the Egyptian revolution earlier this year, Amnesty International said in a report on Thursday.

Amnesty International said Egyptian authorities must provide justice to all of the victims of the violent crackdown by the government and security forces. The report claims many protesters died from gunshot wounds to the head or chest, while the co-ordinator of the field hospital in Tahrir Square said he dealt with around 300 cases of shotgun wounds to the eyes, leading to loss of vision.

The release of the report comes two days before former Interior Minister Habib El Adly goes on trial on charges arising from the killings of protesters.

“The trial of the senior figures suspected of being responsible for the outrageous use of excessive force against peaceful protesters is an essential first step,” said Amnesty International. “But the authorities’ response to victims must go much further than this.”

“Families of those who were killed, as well as all those who were seriously injured or subjected to arbitrary detention or torture, including at the hands of the military, should expect that the authorities will prioritize their needs.”

The London-based human rights organization also called for further investigations into the circumstances of the deaths of at least 189 prisoners during prison unrest. The report documented numerous cases of torture in detention during the protests, including beatings with sticks or whips, electric shocks, the contortion of the body in stress positions for long periods, verbal abuse and threats of rape.

“Many hundreds of people who suffered grievous abuses during this period are still waiting to receive justice for what happened to them,” Amnesty International said.

“That includes families of prisoners unlawfully killed, those who were seriously injured during protests, detainees subjected to torture, and victims of excessive force by security forces in areas not investigated by the government’s Commission.”

Egypt’s ruling military council on Wednesday informed that it is not considering granting amnesty to ousted President Hosni Mubarak even after he returned his properties and assets on Tuesday. Mubarak is accused of ordering the killing of protesters in Tahrir Square during the January 25 Revolution as well as many abuse of power and illicit profiteering counts.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World News |

Subscribe