American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New BreedsJanuary 29th, 2011 - 1:53 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Jan 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The American Kennel Club has announced their acceptance of three new breeds of dog, which includes The Entlebucher Mountain Dog, the Six-Toed Norwegian Lundehund and the Ancient and Rare Xoloitzcuintli. This brings the total number of breeds which are recognized by the AKC to one hundred and seventy.
AKC Spokesperson Gina DiNardo stated, “The AKC is delighted to introduce these three distinct breeds to the public. Each loveable breed has a unique and diverse history and is a wonderful addition to the AKC.”
The Entlebucher Mountain Dog was from the Swiss Alps and was bred to herd cattle in the mountains, from one field to another. It is a medium sized dog which is very good natured, devoted, and intelligent. They make a great family dog as opposed to one owner breeds, and are very energetic.
The Six-Toed Norwegian Lundehund not only has six toes on each foot, but can lean it’s head so far back that it touches their backbones. It is an excellent climber, and make loyal and playful pets, but can be dangerous toward strangers.
The Ancient and Rare Xoloitzcuintli is thought to be a “healer” (as in illness, not “heeler” as in dog breed) in remote places in Mexico and Central America. There are three different sizes of this breed, toy, miniature, and standard, and there are two varieties, coated, and hairless. They are great family dogs.
- Westminster Dog Show 2012 will showcase new breeds - Jan 25, 2012
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- Three New Dog Breeds Added To AKC Registry - Jun 30, 2010
- New dog breeds recognized by AKC - Jun 30, 2010
- American Kennel Club Welcomes Three New Dog Breeds - Jun 30, 2010
- Using dogs to 'sniff out' wildlife - Jan 12, 2011
- Eukanuba Dog Show Aired On Animal Planet - Feb 07, 2010
- Eight mountaineers die in Japan - May 05, 2012
- "Leonberger" Dog And "Cane Corso" Joins AKC Family - Jun 30, 2010
- Italian mountain climber falls to death in Swiss Alps - Aug 22, 2011
- Dog's head size predicts strength, running ability - Feb 01, 2011
- Kashmir's Bakharwal dog could be gone in four years (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
- Catholic Church to train priests on how to perform exorcisms - Nov 14, 2010
- Over 400 dogs participate in Ludhiana's dog show - Nov 29, 2010
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: akc, american kennel club, backbones, breeds of dog, cattle, central america, distinct breeds, dog breed, entlebucher mountain dog, family dog, family dogs, healer, jan 28, loveable breed, norwegian lundehund, playful pets, spokesperson, swiss alps, toes, xoloitzcuintli