American Airlines flight diverted to U.S. military airbase in Alaska after fire alarm goes offJuly 12th, 2010 - 4:38 pm ICT by BNO News
EARECKSON AIR STATION, ALASKA (BNO NEWS) — An American Airlines flight from the United States to Japan was diverted to a military airbase in Alaska on Sunday after a fire alarm went off during the flight, officials said on early Monday.
American Airlines flight 175, a Boeing 777-200, departed Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in Texas on Sunday morning and was scheduled to land at Narita International Airport later on Monday until it was diverted over the Bering Sea at approximately 3.52 p.m. local time.
“There was a fire indication light,” said Andrea Huguely, a spokeswoman for American Airlines, who said the decision was made to land at Eareckson Air Station on the island of Shemya, in the Alaskan Aleutian Islands. “[It] was the closest airport to land the aircraft,” she added.
The plane, which was carrying 197 passengers and 15 crew members, safely landed at Eareckson a short while later. “There was no fire,” Huguely said.
Huguely said the cargo was offloaded from the aircraft, which took several hours, before the aircraft was readied and embarked on a flight to Anchorage at 9.56 p.m. local time. From there, the passengers will be flown to Japan on another aircraft.
“We’re sending another aircraft and another crew to Anchorage,” Huguely said. “It will depart on the 13th at 8 a.m. local time.”
After the first aircraft landed in Anchorage, the plane will undergo a thorough inspection before it goes back into service.
- American Airlines flight to make emergency landing at U.S. military airbase in Alaska - Jul 12, 2010
- American Airlines to suspend two daily flights to Japan - Mar 31, 2011
- Plane crashes at Japans largest airport, kills two - Mar 23, 2009
- Former Alaska state legislator dies in small plane crash - Jul 13, 2012
- American Airlines cleaner accused of stealing 171 items from passengers - Aug 20, 2010
- Fighter jets intercept two small planes in Obama's airspace - Aug 07, 2012
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Coffee Spill Diverts United Airlines Flight, Triggers Hijacking Alert - Jan 06, 2011
- Spicejet flight makes precautionary landing - Apr 13, 2012
- Air traffic controller falls asleep at D.C. airport as jets attempt to land - Mar 25, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Plane hijacking attempt foiled in China - Jun 29, 2012
- Emirates launches new US flights - Feb 03, 2012
- Avoid American airlines, Indians told - Dec 16, 2011
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,