American Airlines flight crashes in JamaicaDecember 23rd, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Kingston, Dec 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An American Airlines flight that started from Miami has crashed in Kingston, Jamaica. There were around 150 people onboard the flight and it overshot a runway while trying to land. It was trying to land because there was a huge rainstorm in Kingston. Perhaps due to lack of visibility, it overshot the runway and crashed. Around 40 people were injured in this crash.
The officials said that, Flight 331 skidded down the runway of Norman Manley International Airport in the Jamaican capital Tuesday night. Some 44 passengers were taken to nearby hospitals with broken bones and back pains, Information Minister Daryl Vaz told The Associated Press. Four people were seriously injured, said Paul Hall, senior vice president of airport operations.
According to witness, the plane crashed and fell apart in 2-3 pieces. The company said that they don’t know the possible cause of the crash but would investigate and report later.
Betrie Carr-Camerom a passenger said to the media, “All I know is that the plane landed and fell apart,” adding that after the jet came to a halt people immediately rushed for the exits, where emergency slides were deployed. “We were there for about 20 minutes or more and there was no one there,” she said. “What if there was a fire? We would’ve all died.” She was not happy with the airport’s emergency response team that did not act fast enough to help the passengers.
- Plane crashes at Jamaica airport in rain - Dec 24, 2009
- American Airlines plane overshoots runway at Jamaica airport, injures 40 - Dec 23, 2009
- Plane with 163 people overshoots runway in Russia - Aug 29, 2012
- 40 injured as US plane overshoots runway in Jamaica (Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- Plane crashes in Jamaica, 40 hurt - Dec 23, 2009
- American Airlines Flight Crash In Jamaica: Leaves 40 Passengers Injured - Dec 23, 2009
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- At least 20 hurt after passenger plane overshoots runway at airport in northeast China - Aug 24, 2010
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- 160 feared dead as Air India Express flight from Dubai catches fire at Mangalore (Second Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Air India crash eyewitnesses say better rescue facilities could have saved more lives - May 23, 2010
- Another plane overshoots runway in China - Aug 27, 2010
- 44 die in Russia plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Dozens rescued after passenger plane overshoots runway at airport in northeast China - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: 3 pieces, airport operations, american airlines, american airlines flight, broken bones, crashes, daryl vaz, emergency response team, information minister, jamaica kingston, jamaican capital, kingston jamaica, nearby hospitals, norman manley international, norman manley international airport, rainstorm, senior vice president, slides, tuesday night, visibility