All 33 Miners Trapped In San Jose Mine Finally RescuedOctober 14th, 2010 - 7:20 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
San Jose Mine, Oct 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In what turned out to be one of the biggest rescue operation in history, all the 33 Chilean miners who were stuck underground for the past 10 weeks have been brought to safety. The hard to believe ordeal of the trapped miners finally ended on Wednesday when the last of the 33 men was pulled out from the underground chamber which had been their home for more than two months. Although the rescue officials had predicted that the evacuation process might last a couple of days, to the utter relief of the miners as well as their family, all the 33 men could be rescued through a much faster and flawless operation.
The last man among the 33 trapped miners who was pulled to the surface was shift foreman Luis Urzua, a man who is known to have displayed immense leadership during the entire ordeal to keep the men in high spirits as they confronted some of the hardest moments of their lives. Following his rescue, Luis Urzua told the large number of reporters who had gathered at the site that they had done what the world had been waiting for while adding that they wanted to fight throughout the ordeal not only for themselves but also for their family.
As the last of the 33 trapped men was brought to safety, a wave of exhilaration and joy went over the crowds at ‘Camp Hope’ with a boisterous cheer greeting Luis Urzua as he surfaced in the escape shaft. The moment was indeed special not only for the miners’ family but for the rescue officials as well as their unrelenting efforts for the past two months had ultimately paid off.
- Last trapped Chilean miner pulled out, rescue completed - Oct 14, 2010
- All 33 trapped Chilean miners pulled to safety - Oct 14, 2010
- Operation To Rescue Chilean Miners Reaches Final Stages - Oct 09, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners may be too fat to fit through escape hole by Xmas - Aug 26, 2010
- NASA's space-age role in trapped Chile miners rescue operation - Oct 14, 2010
- Miracle as first of 33 trapped Chilean miners pulled to safety - Oct 13, 2010
- First Trapped Chilean Miner Brought To Safety - Oct 13, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners ask for beer, peaches - Aug 25, 2010
- Chilean President Congratulates Rescued Miners, Vows To Enhance Mine Safety - Oct 14, 2010
- Chile builds 'cells' to help trapped 33 miners cope - Oct 04, 2010
- First rescue drill reaches Chilean trapped miners - Sep 18, 2010
- 14 miners who survived Chile's 2010 accident seek retirement - Jul 04, 2011
- Trapped Chile Miners Joked of Cannibalism - Oct 16, 2010
- Chilean Miners Making It To Safety One By One - Oct 13, 2010
- Did Chilean miners smoke pot underground? - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: camp hope, cheer, couple of days, crowds, dey, exhilaration, flawless operation, high spirits, last man, leadership, ordeal, rescue officials, shaft, trapped miners, underground chamber, unrelenting efforts