Al-Qaeda kills British hostage Edwin Dyer in MaliJune 3rd, 2009 - 4:34 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Al-Quaeda fighters in Mali are believed to have killed British man Edwin Dyer who they kidnapped in neighboring Niger in January.
Gordon Brown, Britain’s prime minister, said: “We have strong reason to believe that British citizen Edwin Dyer has been murdered by an al-Qaeda cell in Mali.”
The group had said it would kill Dyer if the British government refused to release Abu Qatada, a Jordanian being held in jail in Britain.
Abu Qatada has been held in Britain since 2005 and is awaiting extradition to Jordan, where he was convicted of terrorism offences and faces life in jail.
Last month, the Algerian media reported that al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) was demanding $14.21m in exchange for the Briton and another hostage, a Swiss national, being held in Mali.
Mr. Brown condemned the killing as an “appalling and barbaric act of terrorism” and said it reinforced Britain’s “commitment to confront terrorism”.
“I want those who would use terror against British citizens to know beyond doubt that we and our allies will pursue them relentlessly, and that they will meet the justice they deserve,” he said.
- Al Qaeda might have killed British hostage: Brown - Jun 03, 2009
- Gaddafi's fall might allow al-Qaeda affiliates take over southern Libya: Analysts - Mar 26, 2011
- Al Qaeda 'shopping for arms' in Africa - Nov 02, 2010
- Mali army raids Al Qaeda base, dozen militants killed - Jun 17, 2009
- 'Al-Qaeda snatched missiles in Libya' - Mar 27, 2011
- US citizen held in Spain for funding Al Qaeda - Sep 30, 2010
- France rejects negotiating with Osama bin Laden on Niger hostages - Nov 20, 2010
- Al- Qaeda acquiring weapons in Libya, may target passenger plane - Apr 05, 2011
- 15 Al-Qaeda prisoners escape from Yemeni jail - Dec 12, 2011
- Al Qaeda releases video of French hostages - Apr 27, 2011
- S. American drug gangs funding al-Qaeda terrorists - Dec 30, 2010
- Al Qaeda planning to kidnap more Westerners - Nov 29, 2011
- Spanish hostages are fine: Al Qaeda - Jan 26, 2010
- Al-Qaeda claims kidnapping seven foreigners in Niger - Sep 22, 2010
- US re-designates Algerian group as terrorist body - Oct 28, 2009
Tags: abu qatada, al qaeda, al quaeda, algerian media, allies, aqim, barbaric act, british citizen, british citizens, british government, british hostage, british man, briton, extradition, gordon brown, islamic maghreb, mali, mr brown, niger, prime minister