Air France update : Bomb threat receivedJune 3rd, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
It has been revealed that air France received a telephone bomb threat just days before Air France flight AF447 disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday night.
Officials at Argentina’s Buenos Aires’ Ezeiza Airport held the Paris-bound Air France flight for 90-minutes while Brazilian Federal Police, firefighters and airport security personal inspected the plane.
Airport authorities in Argentina said no explosive device was found and the passengers were not evacuated during the inspection.
Just four days later Air France flight AF447 from Rio de Janeiro disappeared with 228 people on board while four hours in to an 11-hour flight to Paris.
Yesterday Brazilian search and rescue teams located a five-kilometer (three mile) long debris trail about 700 kilometers (435 miles) northeast of the Fernando de Noronha archipelago
French Defense Minister Herve Morin has said an act of terrorism cannot be ruled out in the disappearance and crash of Air France flight AF447.
Morin told Europe 1 radio, “we can’t rule out a terrorist act since terrorism is the main threat to Western democracies, but at this time we don’t have any element whatsoever indicating that such an act could have caused this accident.”
A race against the clock is now on to find the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder, commonly referred to as black boxes, before they stop transmitting a location identifying “ping”.
A French ship is on its way to the zone, carrying two mini-submarines capable of operating at depths of 6,000 meters (19,700 feet), which is also the limit aircraft black boxes can survive for up to 30 days.
However, grave doubts have been expressed as to whether the recorders, thought to be up to three kilometers (1.86 miles) below the ocean surface, will ever be found.
- Race is on for crashed Air France AF447 black boxes - Jun 03, 2009
- Terrorism a possible cause for AF447 death plunge - Jun 02, 2009
- Possible Air France AF447 2009 crash debris sighted - Jun 02, 2009
- Air France Rio crash: Jet plunged in minutes - May 27, 2011
- Bodies found, no black box among 2009 Air France crash wreckage - Apr 05, 2011
- Brazil confirms wreckage is from Air France AF447 crash - Jun 03, 2009
- Air France AF447 black boxes found - Jun 23, 2009
- Air France flight AF447 lost en-route to Paris - Jun 01, 2009
- Bodies Found from downed Air France flight AF447 - Jun 07, 2009
- Body of Air France AF447 pilot Marc Dubois found - Jun 25, 2009
- Air France AF447 black boxes NOT found - Jun 23, 2009
- Investigators find black box from crashed Air France flight - May 02, 2011
- Downed Air France AF447 debris found - Jun 02, 2009
- AF447 flight of death official timeline - Jun 02, 2009
- Body recovered from 2009 Air France flight - May 05, 2011
Tags: AF447, air france, air france flight, black boxes, bomb threat, brazilian search, cockpit voice recorder, europe 1, ezeiza airport, fernando de noronha, flight data recorder, french defense, french ship, grave doubts, herve morin, mini submarines, minister herve, ocean surface, plane airport, race against the clock, western democracies