Air France AF447 black boxes foundJune 23rd, 2009 - 1:36 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Respected French daily newspaper La Monde is reporting that French ships in the Atlantic have pinpointed the location of the black boxes data recorders from doomed Air France AF447.
According to the report, weak signals emitted by the beacons of the two recorders were detected by French ships Monday and the French mini-submarine Nautile was diving to try and recover them.
The black boxes - a cockpit voice recorder and a flight data recorder - are considered essential to the success of the investigation into the crash of the Airbus A330-200 aircraft, which killed 228 people.
The search to recover them has turned into a race against time, since the signals are emitted for only 30 days, or until the end of June.
The search for the airplane is made difficult by the mountainous terrain on the seafloor and depths of up to 4,800 meters.
Air France AF447 departed Rio de Janiero at 7pm (BRT) and was due to arrive at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle 2 airport at 11.15am local Paris time (0915 GMT).
Air traffic controllers lost contact with flight AF447 three hours into the flight when the aircraft was some 1,500 miles (2,400km) northeast of Rio.
The flight was carrying 126 men, 82 women, 7 children and one baby.
According to reports on France 24 the aircraft had reported electrical failure and strong turbulence before contact was lost.
- Air France AF447 black boxes NOT found - Jun 23, 2009
- Brazilians top Air France AF447 passenger list - Jun 02, 2009
- Bodies found, no black box among 2009 Air France crash wreckage - Apr 05, 2011
- Air France says flight AF447 has crashed - Jun 01, 2009
- Body of Air France AF447 pilot Marc Dubois found - Jun 25, 2009
- Body recovered from 2009 Air France flight - May 05, 2011
- Air France flight AF447 lost en-route to Paris - Jun 01, 2009
- Air France CEO mourns crash of flight AF447 with international passengers onboard - Jun 01, 2009
- Air France crash plane not destroyed in flight: Official - Jul 02, 2009
- Race is on for crashed Air France AF447 black boxes - Jun 03, 2009
- Air France Rio crash: Jet plunged in minutes - May 27, 2011
- Air France update : Bomb threat received - Jun 03, 2009
- Air France-KLM CEO Pierre-Henri Gourgeon resigns - Oct 18, 2011
- Investigators find black box from crashed Air France flight - May 02, 2011
- Air France flight recorders located in Atlantic - Jun 24, 2009
Tags: AF447, air france, air traffic controllers, airbus a330 200, beacons, black boxes, brt, charles de gaulle, cockpit voice recorder, data recorders, electrical failure, flight data recorder, france 24, french ships, mini submarine, mountainous terrain, paris charles de gaulle, paris time, race against time, rio de janiero, seafloor