After a volcano, Guatemala struck by the tropical storm ‘Agatha’May 30th, 2010 - 11:32 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Guatemala City, May 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) After a volcano, Guatemala was struck by the tropical storm ‘Agatha’. The inhabitants of Guatemala are facing double trouble as they are have been lashed by torrential rains. The tropical storm Agatha came in from the Pacific Ocean and due to it, at least 12 people have lost their lives too. In the wake of the storm, mudslides and floods have also made an appearance.
The Pacaya Volcano started erupting on Thursday, and the rescue personnel were trying to clear up the ash and the eruptions, but the rain was playing havoc with their efforts. The main airport of the city was also drenched in flood-waters, and since there was an insane amount of water on the runway, so the airport personnel have announced that they are going to close it for 5 days.
Weather experts say that the storm is going to bring at least 50 cms of rain in its wake, in the regions of Guatemala, El Salvador and southeastern Mexico. The rainwater has already destroyed the homes of many families, and over a 1000 people have been displaced. 11 people were reported to be missing after the flood disrupted the normal lives of the inhabitants of Guatemala. According to reports, 4 children have also lost their lives.
- UN prepares to aid Central Americans affected by tropical storm Agatha - Jun 02, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 40 in Guatemala (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha pours over Guatemala and El Salvador - Jun 02, 2010
- Volcano eruption in Guatemala kills three, another eruption is expected - May 28, 2010
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 46 in Central America - May 31, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Toll in storm Agatha rises to 100 (Third Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Guatemala's national airport to remain closed as Pacaya volcano erupts again - May 29, 2010
- Four killed as Tropical Storm Agatha, first of the Eastern Pacific season, closes in on Guatemala - May 30, 2010
- Volcano eruption in Guatemala kills one, injures 20 as 'state of calamity' is declared - May 28, 2010
- 73 killed in Guatemala tropical storm - May 31, 2010
- People Flee From Erupting Guatemala Volcano - May 30, 2010
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Toll in Guatemala rains rises to 45 - Sep 08, 2010
- Eight buried alive as mudslide hits bus - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: agatha, appearance, ash, cms, double trouble, el salvador, flood waters, floods, guatemala city, havoc, inhabitants, mudslides, pacaya volcano, pacific ocean, rainwater, southeastern mexico, torrential rains, tropical storm, wake of the storm, weather experts