Afghan Taliban cell leader and several members captured after placing nine IEDs in children’s schoolApril 30th, 2010 - 12:38 am ICT by BNO News
KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) – An Afghan-international security force captured a Taliban cell leader who allegedly placed improvised explosive devices (IED) in and around an Afghan children’s school, the NATO-led ISAF alliance said on Thursday.
Gathered and received information indicated that a Taliban IED cell was working around Kuhak, in Kandahar province, and further security force operations resulted in the capture of the Taliban IED leader and several other members. The alliance did not say when the operation took place.
Further searches in the area revealed command detonation wires in a field across the road from the Kuhak children’s school, and as specialists traced the command wires, they discovered nine buried IEDs.
Four of the devices were buried on the side of the road running beside the Kuhak school, and two more of the IEDs were buried outside the gate of the school. Three additional IEDs were uncovered in the school courtyard, where the students congregate.
The roadside IEDs were blown up and created large craters. International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) experts earlier determined they were too dangerous to move, but the devices located around the school and in the student courtyard were dug up and safely removed by ISAF forces.
It is still unclear why the Taliban decided to place the IEDs in and around a children’s school.
- NATO troops discover 900 kg of marijuana, arrest suspected Taliban commander - Jun 09, 2010
- Troops kill Taliban commander with close ties to senior Al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan - Jun 06, 2010
- 3 ISAF personnel killed in eastern Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- Local Taliban leader among insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Oct 25, 2010
- Taliban leader held in Afghanistan: ISAF - Aug 01, 2012
- Taliban leader involved in NYT journalist Farrell's kidnapping among insurgents arrested in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2010
- Security developments in Afghanistan, Jan 24 - Jan 25, 2010
- Taliban cell leader and other suspected insurgents captured throughout Afghanistan - Jul 25, 2010
- ISAF forces find damaged Korans in Afghan's Helmand province - Jan 21, 2010
- Security developments in Afghanistan, Jan 24 - Jan 24, 2010
- Two dead, 100 injured in Afghan suicide bombing - Sep 11, 2011
- Afghan-international force arrests Taliban sub-commander in central-east Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2010
- Two NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan blast - Jul 23, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,