Afghan intelligence says it foiled plot to kill President KarzaiOctober 6th, 2011 - 2:29 am ICT by BNO News
KABUL (BNO NEWS) — Six people have been detained on charges of plotting the assassination of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the country’s top intelligence agency said on Wednesday.
Those arrested include four university students, a Kabul University professor and a guard. National Directorate of Security spokesman Lotfullah Mashal said the students are members of al-Qaeda and the Haqqani network and allegedly have direct ties to intelligence services of neighboring countries, the Pahjwok Afghan News agency reported.
Mashal added that the leader of the group was Dr. Habib who had links with two al-Qaeda members. During preliminary investigations, Habib acknowledged visiting Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal region where he received militant training.
The official described the detainees as “a dangerous and educated group, including teachers and students, who wanted to assassinate President Karzai. Unfortunately, they infiltrated the presidential protection system and recruited one of the president’s bodyguards.”
The arrests come less than three weeks after former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani was assassinated during a suicide attack at his residence while meeting with several members of the High Peace Council along with two important members of the Taliban, although the group later denied responsibility.
- Rabbani's murder planned in Pakistan: Afghan security agency - Oct 01, 2011
- 'ISI behind bid to kill Indian consul general' (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- Haqqanis deny killing Rabbani: BBC - Oct 03, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- Pakistan media note Delhi-Kabul strategic links - Oct 05, 2011
- Badruddin Haqqani killed in drone attack: Report - Aug 25, 2012
- Gilani condoles Rabbani's killing - Sep 22, 2011
- Pakistan plays down Afghan-India strategic pact - Oct 06, 2011
- Afghanistan to support 'brother Pakistan' if US or India attacked: Karzai - Oct 22, 2011
- Pakistan rejects claim of ISI hand in Rabanni killing - Oct 03, 2011
- Obama meets Karzai - Sep 21, 2011
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: afghan news, afghan president hamid, al qaeda, bno, detainees, dr habib, hamid karzai, intelligence agency, intelligence services, kabul university, mashal, national directorate, news agency, peace council, president hamid karzai, president karzai, suicide attack, taliban, university professor, university students