‘Act of God’ Destroys Jesus Statue, Original Artists Offers to Make New OneJune 17th, 2010 - 11:11 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
June 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The artist who designed the original ‘King of Kings’ statue, fondly nicknamed the ‘Touchdown Jesus’, which loomed with outstretched arms by Interstate 75 in Ohio, is offering to help rebuild the famous landmark after it was struck by lightening and completely destroyed on Monday night.
Although he has not contacted the Solid Rock Church, where the statue stood ever since he designed it in 2004, Brad Coriell of Nashville, Tenn stated that he would be honored to help replace the ‘Touchdown Jesus’.
Darlene Bishop, the co-pastor of the church on Interstate 75 just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio said that Coriell may be among the artists which will be allowed to submit designs and costs to the church foe a new statue. According to the church’s officials, the new statue will most likely look much different than the original.
The original ‘King of Kings’ was meant to be a symbol of hope, and not to get attention, according to Lawrence Bishop. It was financed by Bishop and his wife for $250,000, and has had so many travelers to stop by for a closer view, that a new walkway had to be designed to accommodate them.
- Ohio's Famous 'Touchdown Jesus' Statue Burned To Ground By 'Act of God' - Jun 15, 2010
- 'Touchdown Jesus' To Be Replaced by 'Come Unto Me' Statue - Nov 02, 2010
- Lightning-struck 60ft Jesus statue in Ohio burns to ground - Jun 16, 2010
- Donations pour in for new Jesus statue that was destroyed in lightning - Jun 17, 2010
- 'Touchdown Jesus' near Monroe, Ohio on fire after lightning strike - Jun 15, 2010
- Touchdown Jesus Fire Leads To A Loss Of $700,000 - Jun 16, 2010
- Solid Rock Chapel unveils their 'Come Unto Me' statue - Nov 03, 2010
- Touchdown Jesus statue struck by lightning - Jun 17, 2010
- Touchdown Jesus Statue Struck By Lightning - Jun 15, 2010
- Gospel Singer 'Marvin Sapp' Loses Wife MaLinda Sapp to Colon Cancer - Sep 10, 2010
- Bishop Eddie Long sued by 2 men - Sep 22, 2010
- Ohio strippers protest outside church that wants to end their business - Aug 28, 2010
- Bishop Kenneth Moales Sr. Passes Away After Suffering Heart Attack - Sep 22, 2010
- Bishop Kenneth Moales dies at the age of 65 years - Sep 22, 2010
- Steve Jobs' statue unveiled in Hungary - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: act of god, cincinnati ohio, closer view, co pastor, coriell, darlene bishop, foe, interstate 75, jesus statue, king of kings, landmark, lawrence bishop, monday night, nashville tenn, solid rock church, touchdown jesus, travelers, walkway