Abu Abdullah Al Shafi’l, leader of Ansar al Islam arrestedMay 4th, 2010 - 2:52 am ICT by BNO News
BAGHDAD, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) – Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) arrested the alleged leader of Ansar al Islam and seven criminal associates on Monday, U.S. Forces in Iraq said.
Abu Abdullah Al Shafi’l has been identified as the Emir of Ansar Al Islam (AI), and after ISF and a Kurdish counter-terrorism organization, supported by U.S. advisors, searched several residential buildings in Mansour and Adhamiyah, the warranted individual who allegedly has links to other senior Al-Qaeda leadership was captured.
Investigation indicates al Shafi’l held association with Osama Bin Laden and modeled himself after the al-Qaeda figurehead.
AI allegedly funded and conducted terrorist operations in Europe and the United Kingdom and is a prominent extremist propaganda distributor. The organization is also responsible for jihadist recruitment spanning the globe.
Al Shafi’l is believed to have served the terrorist organization since it first began operating, allegedly responsible for facilitating attacks against Iraqi civilians, Kurdish police, ISF and coalition forces. His capture should significantly degrade the AI network in Iraq, which has long been a direct threat to the unification of Iraq.
Information and evidence gathered at the scene led Iraqi Ministry of the Interior forces to identify and arrest al Shafi’l and seven criminal associates.
- Three suspected terrorists captured in Iraq - May 19, 2010
- Four al-Qaeda in Iraq members arrested in Mosul - May 08, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest four al-Qaeda in Iraq associates - May 13, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrested six-suspected al-Qaeda terrorists - Mar 05, 2010
- Suspected Al-Qaeda leader arrested in west Mosul, Iraq - Jun 10, 2010
- Al-Qaeda in Iraq member and eight associates arrested - Apr 27, 2010
- Two Al-Qaeda in Iraq members and 4 associates arrested - May 11, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest four suspected terrorists while pursuing an al-Qaeda leader - Apr 01, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest suspected terrorist - Apr 15, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest al-Qaeda leader and five others - Apr 07, 2010
- Al-Qaeda in Iraq leader and three suspected terrorists captured - May 18, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest suspected Al-Qaeda in Iraq leader - Apr 27, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest al-Qaeda in Iraq leader and eight additional suspects - Mar 16, 2010
- Three al-Qaeda in Iraq suspects arrested - Apr 19, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest six terrorist suspects - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, ansar al islam, baghdad iraq, bno, coalition forces, counter terrorism, extremist, figurehead, iraqi civilians, iraqi security, mansour, osama bin laden, propaganda, recruitment, residential buildings, security forces, shafi, terrorist operations, terrorist organization, unification