Abby Sutherland: 16 Year Old Girl Lost At SeaJune 11th, 2010 - 5:29 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
The girl who dared to sail around the world by herself is considered lost at sea. Abby Sutherland, whose real name is Abby Sunderland is now searched by several countries after was reported missing.
Her attempt to be the youngest person to sail solo around the world now seems to be a question. She encountered storm in the South Indian Ocean and activated her emergency beacon at around 4:45 Pacific time last Thursday morning.
The 16 year old U.S. sailor has also lost contact with her family and her phone is unreachable from last night. Reportedly according to her website she experienced turbulence in the sea after her Wild Eyes vessel encountered winds of up to 60 knots and seas reaching 25 feet (7.6 meters).
Her father, Laurence Sunderland and family seemed to be worried and reported Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio in Perth. Reports suggest that she may be approximately 2,000 miles (3,220 kilometers) from South Africa and 2,000 miles from Australia.
The rescue team is already in search of Abby Sunderland. As per reports a Qantas Airways Ltd. owned Airbus SAS A330-300 and also a French vessel closest to Abby Sutherland’s nearby location is sent to find and locate her. Rescue ships are also on their way from French Territory to Reunion Island. Her family and the engineer who helped her for this trip still are optimistic and believe that she is still alive and expecting her safe return to Thousand Oaks.
Abby Sutherland’s brother Zac Sutherland has also made his voyage to the sea and completed his solo circumnavigation from Del Rey Yacht Club in California on January 23. The police believes that she is still sailing and her yacht is on the sea.
- Abby Sunderland: The Lost Sailor Found In Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Rescued - Jun 12, 2010
- Round-the-world teen sailor rescued - Jun 12, 2010
- Teenage solo sailor rescued in Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Teenager California sailor Abby Sunderland found alive - Jun 11, 2010
- Round-the-world-teen-sailor vows solo try won't be last - Jun 13, 2010
- 16-year-old sailor Abby Sunderland feared lost at sea - Jun 11, 2010
- Urgent:Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Feared Lost; Emergency Rescue Launched - Jun 11, 2010
- Round-the-world teen sailor found alive in Indian Ocean - Jun 11, 2010
- Missing Californian Teen Sailor, Abby Sunderland, Reported To Be In A Safe And Sound State - Jun 11, 2010
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- Round-the-world teen sailor feared lost at sea? - Jun 11, 2010
- British woman first to go round the world thrice - Apr 13, 2011
- Abby Sunderland wants to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world solo - Jan 25, 2010
- Teen Sailor's Family Denies Allegations of Reality Show - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: a330, abby, australian broadcasting corp, brother zac, del rey yacht club, emergency beacon, father laurence, french territory, gina gomez, last thursday, nearby location, qantas airways, qantas airways ltd, rescue ships, reunion island, safe return, solo circumnavigation, south indian ocean, thousand oaks, wild eyes