Abby Sunderland wants to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world soloJanuary 25th, 2010 - 1:15 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
California, Jan 24 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A 16-year-old girl – Abby Sunderland wants to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world and that too, solo. She has been thinking about this dream of hers, since the age of 13. And she is planning to launch her 24,500 miles voyage from the Marina del Rey on Monday, after almost a month of delays.
However she could be delayed further, because she can set sail only, if the weather is fine and other technical aspects of the voyage are firmly in place. She will be making her solo voyage in ‘Wild Eyes’, which is a 40-foot, custom-designed sailboat that has been outfitted for a voyage around the world, expected to take four to six months.
Right now, Abby Sunderland is mighty worried about the winter in the Southern Hemisphere. “That’ll be my big challenge,” Sunderland said. “The goal was to get down there in their summer when it’s warmer because it’s freezing down there in their winter.” Her brother 18-year-old Zac had also completed his own solo circumnavigation around the world, last summer. However Abby Sunderland is going to do something more than her brother in this solo trip. As she is not going to stop anywhere on the solo trip.
- Round-the-world teen sailor feared lost at sea? - Jun 11, 2010
- Abby Sutherland: 16 Year Old Girl Lost At Sea - Jun 11, 2010
- US teen joins race for youngest round-the-world sailor - Jan 25, 2010
- Missing Californian Teen Sailor, Abby Sunderland, Reported To Be In A Safe And Sound State - Jun 11, 2010
- Teenage solo sailor rescued in Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Round-the-world teen sailor found alive in Indian Ocean - Jun 11, 2010
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- Abby Sunderland: The Lost Sailor Found In Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Teen Sailor's Family Denies Allegations of Reality Show - Jun 15, 2010
- Round-the-world teen sailor rescued - Jun 12, 2010
- Urgent:Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Feared Lost; Emergency Rescue Launched - Jun 11, 2010
- Round-the-world-teen-sailor vows solo try won't be last - Jun 13, 2010
- Navy's 'Mhadei' to sail non-stop from Goa to Cape Town - Nov 24, 2010
- 16-year-old sailor Abby Sunderland feared lost at sea - Jun 11, 2010
- Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Rescued - Jun 12, 2010
Tags: abby, brother, foot custom, jan 24, marina del rey, old girl, sailboat, six months, solo circumnavigation, solo trip, solo voyage, southern hemisphere, sunderland, technical aspects, weather, wild eyes, world solo