7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes FijiSeptember 16th, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Fiji, Sept 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A 7.3 magnitude quake has struck Fiji. The US Geological Survey reported on Friday that the quake struck earlier in the day hitting at a depth of 626 kilometers. No tsunami warning was issued by the USGS.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center which is based in the United States announced that, “a destructive tsunami was not generated, based on earthquake and historical tsunami data.”
No casualties or damages have been reported. The epicenter of the quake was about 74 miles from the Island of Doi. The Japanese Meteorological Agency closely monitored the quake. The agency did not issue a tsunami warning after the quake struck.
This is not the first quake to hit the Pacific in recent days. There have been at least 6 quakes in the region since last week. The 7.3 quake in Fiji is the biggest of the quakes. The USGS has announced that the quakes are not related to each other.
Before the Fiji quake on Friday, there had been 6.2 magnitude quake on the Japanese island of Honshu. There was a 6.0 quake in New Zealand as well as 6.1 quake on the Alaskan island of Aleutian. There was another quake near Vancouver Island last week. The quake was 6.4 on the Richter scale.
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake, warnings canceled - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off the Vanuatu Islands - Sep 08, 2010
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Magnitude 6.1 quake hits off Japan's east coast: USGS - Apr 14, 2011
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- Strong quake strikes the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami alert - Mar 31, 2011
- New Zealand's Kermadec Islands struck by massive quakes - Jul 07, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Powerful 7.6 quake near Vanuatu prompts tsunami warnings - Dec 25, 2010
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Powerful earthquake hits southwestern Colombia, no casualties - Oct 01, 2012
Tags: alaskan island, aleutian, casualties, doi, epicenter, honshu, japanese island, japanese meteorological agency, kilometers, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, quakes, richter scale, tsunami data, tsunami warning center, us geological survey, usgs, vancouver island