6.7-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New GuineaMarch 22nd, 2012 - 5:32 am ICT by BNO News
PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck the island of New Guinea in Papua New Guinea on early Thursday morning, seismologists said.
The 6.7-magnitude earthquake at 8:15 a.m. local time (2215 GMT Wednesday) was centered about 64 kilometers (40 miles) east of Goroka, the capital of the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. It struck about 114.8 kilometers (90 miles) deep, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
Because the earthquake struck on land, no tsunami alerts were issued. “A destructive tsunami was not generated based on earthquake and historical tsunami data,” the center said in a statement.
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong 6.3-magnitude earthquakes strike Papua New Guinea - Jul 21, 2010
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea; no tsunami risk - Aug 21, 2010
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes near Papua New Guinea's second-largest city - Apr 18, 2010
- Massive earthquake rocks Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Mar 11, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes hit Papua New Guinea, spark tsunami warning for Indonesia - Jul 18, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike Papua New Guinea, tsunami warning canceled - Jul 18, 2010
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warnings - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: bno, eastern highlands province, gmt, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, new guinea port, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, papua new guinea, papua new guinea port, papua new guinea port moresby, port moresby papua new guinea, seismologists, thursday morning, tsunami, tsunami data, tsunami warning center