5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damageApril 12th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by BNO News
COOS BAY, OREGON (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off the coast of Oregon on early Wednesday afternoon, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties and no tsunami warning was issued.
The 5.9-magnitude earthquake at 1:41 p.m. local time (2241 GMT) was centered about 271 kilometers (168 miles) west of Coos Bay, a city located in Coos County on the Pacific coast of the United States. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.3 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The USGS said it did not expect to see damage or casualties due to the earthquake’s distance from the coast, and there were no immediate reports of tremors being felt anywhere along the coast. No tsunami warning was issued by the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center (WCATWC).
Wednesday’s earthquake follows a 6.0-magnitude earthquake which struck the same area on February 14, also causing no damage. The earthquake in February was one of the strongest earthquakes to hit off the coast of Oregon in recent years.
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Oct 13, 2011
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Light earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon - Apr 09, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Moderate 5.3-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon - Jul 28, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
Tags: alaska tsunami warning, alaska tsunami warning center, bay oregon, bno, casualties, earthquake hits, kilometers, magnitude earthquake, oregon coast, pacific coast, seismologists, shallow earthquake, strongest earthquakes, tremors, tsunami warning center, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs, wednesday afternoon, west coast and alaska tsunami warning center