500 Text Messages Sent From Stolen PhoneFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 10:19 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Iowa City, Feb 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) According to reports, a man called Christopher Smead from Iowa City has been arrested as he had allegedly sent 500 text messages or more from a mobile phone which he stole. Mobile thefts are very common these days. However, sending text messages to unknown people from a stolen mobile is a little uncommon. One of the risks involved when mobiles are stolen is that, the person who steals the mobile gets access to phone numbers of a large number of people until the sim card is blocked. Apart from that, they can check and misuse any information, photos or videos stored in the mobile.
Christopher Smead, a 21-year-old, apparently took the phone from a locker room of a fitness center. He started using it without asking permission of the owner. According to police reports, Christopher Smead allegedly started sending text messages from early Friday till late in the evening. He is reportedly charged with 5th degree theft. When Christopher Smead was arrested, he was also charged with carrying air pistol. He apparently entered the main library of the University of Iowa with the air pistol.
However, Christopher Smead did not appear in court after he was charged for carrying the pistol. Christopher Smead is now arrested for theft charges, for which he had pleaded guilty. He will reportedly have to spend 30 days in jail. It is not clear why the 21-year-old had to carry the air pistol to the library. Nor is it known whether Christopher Smead wanted to steal the mobile or just send text messages from it. He is probably going to be released after 30 days.
- Iowa Man Arrested for Sending 500 'Stolen' Texts - Feb 23, 2010
- Man jailed for failing to return library books - Sep 07, 2011
- Delhi Police bust biker gang - Sep 13, 2010
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Man arrested for thefts at marriage functions - Dec 07, 2010
- Trucker whose texting caused woman's death jailed - Dec 12, 2011
- Vehicle thieves arrested - Dec 05, 2010
- 39 held in Karachi for various crimes - Jul 21, 2012
- China busts pickpocket gang - Mar 22, 2012
- One in 10 end relationship with text message - Jan 18, 2012
- Airport loader held for theft gets chance to reform - Apr 11, 2011
- Five Chinese held for stealing over 1,600 iPhones - Feb 10, 2012
- BlackBerry helped spread riots in London - Aug 09, 2011
- 25 outlaws arrested in Karachi - Mar 18, 2012
- 500,000 bees stolen from Fraser Valley - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: air pistol, city feb, fitness center, gina gomez, information photos, iowa city, locker room, main library, mobile phone, phone numbers, police reports, sending text messages, sim card, smead, stolen mobile, theft charges, university of iowa