40 people injured in clashes between protesters and security forces in northern IraqApril 19th, 2011 - 2:27 am ICT by BNO News
ARBIL, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) — At least 40 people on Monday were injured in clashes between protesters and security forces in two northern Iraqi cities, Aswat al-Iraq news agency reported.
In Arbil, a total of 22 demonstrators were wounded after clashes with law enforcement agents during a protest staged in Salah al-Din University. A member of the Kurdistan’s parliament, Mohammad Kayani, was among the injured protesters.
A group of university professors, clerics and students clashed with security forces after the latter attempted to disperse them. The law enforcement agents were undercover and wearing civilian clothes, according to witnesses.
In another demonstration, at least 18 people were injured after clashes with anti-riot squad forces in Sulaimaniya. Eight of the wounded were law enforcement agents, according to Hawar Naqshabandy, director of the city’s emergency hospital.
The clashes took place after security forces stormed the al-Saray square where protestors have been staging a sit-in since mid February. Three people were injured by gunfire and the others were wounded by stones and tear gas.
In Mosul, the Iraqi army prevented the entry of a delegation from Falluja that intended to take part in the sit-ins that have been running for ten days. The group arrived in a bus carrying 40 people, including chieftains and public figures.
Hundreds of Kurdistan’s protesters have taken to the streets in Sulaimaniya and other northern cities for the past month to demand better living conditions, an end to corruption, and political reforms. Security forces have used water cannons and fired shots into the air to disperse protesters, injuring hundreds and killing at least seven protesters.
- At least 7 killed in plane accident in northern Iraq - Feb 05, 2011
- One killed in Iraq protest - Feb 17, 2011
- Four die in Iraq clashes between protesters and security (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 45, injuries 150 at Iraqi recruiting center - Jan 18, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Violent protests in Kashmir Valley, dozens hurt - Jul 28, 2010
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Six policemen killed in Iraq attacks - Oct 18, 2009
- At least four injured in Iraq suicide bombing - Oct 19, 2009
- American teacher killed in Iraq school - Mar 01, 2012
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- One more killed in Yemen unrest - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: arbil iraq, bno, chieftains, civilian clothes, clashes, emergency hospital, iraq news, iraqi army, iraqi cities, kayani, kurdistan, northern cities, northern iraq, political reforms, riot squad, saray, sit ins, sulaimaniya, university professors, water cannons