30 people killed in head-on collision in South AfricaDecember 11th, 2011 - 2:50 am ICT by BNO News
JOHANNESBURG (BNO NEWS) — Thirty people were killed on early Saturday morning when an overloaded minibus taxi collided head-on with a truck in the South African province of Free State, medics said. Several others were injured.
The accident happened at around 3 a.m. local time near Harrismith when an overloaded minibus collided with a truck on the N3 freeway which connects Johannesburg and the city of Durban. Twenty-eight people died at the scene of the accident, including ten children.
Nine others were rushed to Harrismith Provincial Hospital for treatment, said Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks. Two of the critically injured passengers later died at the hospital, raising the death toll to 30.
Wicks said the minibus was carrying 37 people on board at the time of the accident but was only licensed to carry 23. “Common cause information suggests that an errant party strayed from their allocated lane and pushed into oncoming traffic,” he said. “The two vehicles collided and veered sharply out of control.”
Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele conveyed condolences to the families of those killed. “We want to convoy condolences to the families of those killed in this gruesome road crash outside Harrismith in the Free State this morning, and wish the injured a speedy recovery,” the minister said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them all during these tragic moments.”
Roads in South Africa are considered to be among the world’s most dangerous, with more than 13,000 people killed every year. Many accidents are attributed to reckless driving and the poor maintenance of buses and taxis.
A total of 20 people were killed last month when two minibus taxis hit the side of a truck on the N1 national route between the cities of Leeu-Gamka and Prince Albert. More than a dozen others were injured.
- South Africa taxi accident kills 11 - Mar 13, 2012
- One dead, twenty injured in South Africa bus-taxi crash - Dec 20, 2010
- Scores injured when taxi overturns in South Africa - Dec 29, 2010
- Nine killed in Zambia bus accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Nearly 100 injured in South Africa train crash - Jan 15, 2011
- Minibus carrying preschoolers collides with truck in NW China, killing 20 - Nov 16, 2011
- Nine killed in China road accident - Aug 17, 2012
- 19 dead in South Africa road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- Six killed in Maharashtra accident - Jun 29, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- Babies among 19 dead in South Africa bus wreck - Jan 15, 2011
- Four officials sacked as 18 kids die in accident - Nov 17, 2011
- Six killed in Haryana jeep-tanker collision - Jan 03, 2012
- 28 killed in Cameroon road accident - Aug 30, 2011
- South African police probing minister's accident - Nov 02, 2009
Tags: bno, control transport, harrismith, head on collision, leeu, minibus taxi, minibus taxis, ndebele, netcare 911, oncoming traffic, poor maintenance, prince albert, provincial hospital, reckless driving, road crash, south africa johannesburg, south african province, speedy recovery, thoughts and prayers, tragic moments