3-alarm fire at New York City apartment building injures 31March 13th, 2011 - 5:41 pm ICT by BNO News
BROOKLYN (BNO NEWS) — Firefighters in the New York City borough of Brooklyn were battling a 3-alarm fire at a residential building on early Sunday morning, fire officials said. Dozens of people were injured.
A spokesman for the Fire Department of New York said the fire broke out at around 5.12 a.m. local time at a four-story apartment building, located at 510 61st Street. The cause of the fire was not immediately known, although it is being treated as suspicious.
“[It involves] multiple dwellings. I believe fire broke out on all the floors and [went] through the roof,” the spokesman said. He later added that 31 people were injured, including four people who were seriously injured and four people who sustained moderate injuries. The 23 others, including a firefighter, sustained minor injuries.
The main body of the 3-alarm fire was extinguished as of 6.30 a.m. local time and the fire was placed under control about an hour later, although small pockets of fire continued to burn. A total of 33 units with 138 firefighters are at the scene of the blaze.
- 17 people killed, 24 others injured in Beijing building fire - Apr 25, 2011
- Injuries after collapse at Brooklyn building - Mar 30, 2010
- Six injured in fire - Aug 14, 2011
- Explosion rocks German chemical park - Mar 31, 2012
- Eight homeless people die in New Orleans warehouse fire - Dec 29, 2010
- Seven die in central Moscow apartment fire - May 17, 2011
- Dormitory fire kills five people in southwest China - Feb 02, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Moscow university - Dec 30, 2011
- Major fire on 10th floor of South Kolkata building (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Chandni Chowk blaze claims one life - Nov 30, 2010
- Paper mill explosion in Taiwan, four killed - Apr 23, 2011
- Chandni Chowk fire extinguished, four hurt (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Fire at MTS Medication Technologies in St. Petersburg, FL - Mar 25, 2010
- One killed, three injured in Jamshedpur fire - Mar 04, 2012
- Nearly 30 injured after 7-alarm breaks out in Chinatown, New York - Apr 12, 2010
Tags: alarm fire, apartment building, blaze, bno, borough of brooklyn, brooklyn, city apartment, civilians, dwellings, early sunday morning, fire department, fire officials, firefighters, local time, minor injuries, pockets, residential building, spokesman, story apartment, york city borough