2500 German police evict tenants from Berlin’s squatFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 10:32 pm ICT by BNO News
BERLIN (BNO NEWS) — Around 2,500 police officers were deployed across Berlin to evict illegal tenants from one of the city’s last surviving squats, DPA news agency reported.
Police used an axe and a battering ram to break down the door of Liebigstrasse 14, in east Berlin. But tenants had ripped out staircases and built extra walls to prevent police from reaching them.
It took over five hours before police were able to fully reclaim the property, arresting six men and five women.
Hundreds of supporters participated in violent protests in solidarity with the squatters. Protesters, some of them with their faces covered, threw bottles and stones at riot police. Several police officers were injured.
Liebigstrasse 14 was occupied in 1990, shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the squatters later received tenancy agreements. At the end of the 1990s, however, the house was sold to private owners and they were given notice. After several court battles they were given until February 2 to leave.
- Five dead in German hostage crisis (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Apex court upholds needy landlord's right to evict tenant (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Nepalese government evacuates hundreds of squatters from Kathmandu - May 08, 2012
- Migrant squatters double in London - Jun 10, 2012
- 2,000 squatters in Lima evicted by 1,500 cops - Jul 23, 2012
- Three died in mob violence in Guwahati (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Assam peasant leader held for violent protests - Jun 24, 2011
- Hawkers cannot be allowed to choke streets: Court - Dec 29, 2011
- Several injured in Kolkata clash - Apr 04, 2012
- Delhi court evicts tenant from ex-official's flat - Jul 01, 2012
- Probe ordered in Assam's violent protests - Jun 23, 2011
- 85 protesters arrested in US - Oct 26, 2011
- Around 700 people arrested for taking part in the Wall Street protests - Oct 03, 2011
- Five killed as Maoist activists clash with police in west Nepal - Dec 05, 2009
- Scores arrested across US in 'Occupy Wall Street' protests - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: axe, battering ram, bno, court battles, east berlin, fall of the berlin wall, february 2, five women, german police, news agency, police officers, private owners, protesters, riot police, six men, solidarity, squats, staircases, tenancy agreements, violent protests