20 homes destroyed in the White Swan fireFebruary 14th, 2011 - 7:13 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Feb 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Firefighters have been able to bring the fire that razed down 20 homes, under control.
Officials announced yesterday that they managed to bring the fire under control but several logs were still visibly burning yesterday. The fire at the Yakima Indian Reservation was started in one house and soon engulfed several other houses nearby. Several firefighters were seen battling the blaze.
Officials announced that there were no resident casualties but confirmed that two firefighters were treated for minor injuries. The fire was fuelled by strong winds that caused concerns to the firefighters. About 70 firefighters were involved in bringing down the flame.
After binging the fire under control, firefighters were stationed at Yakima overnight as a precaution.
The chairman of the Yakima Council explained to reporters that, “There are a lot of spot fires. We have a hazardous, dangerous situation here.”
Residents told reporters about the experience. Some of residents said they tried to fight the blaze themselves but they soon realized they cannot do that. They subsequently fled the location and took shelter in the town’s high school and other such places.
45-year-old Rodney Martin told reporters that, “I got out front and tried to water the front of the house, and it overtook me.”
- Two firemen killed in US blaze - Apr 10, 2012
- Fire in Kanpur plastics scrapyard - May 17, 2011
- Shopping complex in Uttar Pradesh gutted, no casualties - Apr 06, 2011
- Chandni Chowk blaze claims one life - Nov 30, 2010
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Chandni Chowk fire extinguished, four hurt (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- WildFire Engulfs Parts Of Palmdale, Hundreds Evacuated - Jul 30, 2010
- Fire In Baltimore's Adult Entertainment Zone Brought Under Control - Dec 07, 2010
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- 14 rescued from Mumbai building fire (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- 8 missing in Colorado wildfire, 136 homes destroyed - Sep 09, 2010
- Major fire on 10th floor of South Kolkata building (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Major fire in paper factory, no casualties - Apr 26, 2011
- 42 killed in Shanghai high-rise blaze (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: blaze, casualties, control officials, dangerous situation, feb 14, firefighters, flame, indian reservation, logs, minor injuries, precaution, rodney martin, s high school, spot fires, strong winds, swan, white swan, yakima