13 more bodies found in mass graves in northern MexicoApril 8th, 2011 - 11:10 pm ICT by BNO News
TAMAULIPAS, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) — Mexican authorities on Fridya announced that 13 more bodies were located in mass graves in Tamaulipas state, northeastern Mexico.
According to El Universal newspaper, the new discovery was made in the San Fernando municipality, the same place where 59 bodies were located in egiht mass graves.
With Friday’s discovery, authorities have unearthed 72 bodies in San Fernando. The same number of people found dead in the same place in August 2010. In that case, the victims were Central and South American migrants killed by members of Los Zetas cartel.
Jaime Canseco, Tamaulipas Secretary-General, said that the bodies unearthed were not migrants. He added that it is believed that they were people who refused to enlist within the ranks of Los Zetas drug cartel.
In addition, Canseco said the 72 victims were men and Mexican nationals. An investigation was launched to determine if the 13 bodies are related to the 59 victims located earlier.
The first mass graves were discovered by police officers while investigating reports that passengers from a bus were kidnapped in late March. Forensic investigators have not confirmed yet if the bodies are the missing passengers.
“These reprehensible acts underline the cowardice and the total lack of scruples of the criminal organizations, which generate violence in our country, particularly in the state of Tamaulipas,” said Mexico’s President Felipe Calderon on Thursday.
On Wednesday, thousands of people participated in protests in 24 states agaisnt the government’s anti-crime strategy and the increasing violence in the country. Since President Calderon was elected in 2006, over 30,000 people have died in connection to drug-related violence.
- 13 bodies found in Mexico mass graves - Apr 09, 2011
- 16 police officers detained in mass graves case in northern Mexico - Apr 15, 2011
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- Bodies found in Mexico's mass graves - Apr 08, 2011
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 11 killed in Mexico violence - Nov 13, 2010
- At least 16 bodies found in northern Mexico - Sep 17, 2012
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- 71 Mexican cities dangerous for migrants: Report - Apr 20, 2011
- 72 bodies discovered in mass grave in Mexico's drug-plaged north - Aug 25, 2010
- 59 bodies found in Mexico mass graves - Apr 08, 2011
- Over 200 kidnap victims killed in Mexico in 2010 - Feb 04, 2011
- Bus passengers kidnapped for recruitment in Mexico gangs - Apr 11, 2011
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- Mexico arrests 7 alleged gunmen in massacre of 72 migrants - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: bno, canseco, cowardice, criminal organizations, drug cartel, el universal, forensic investigators, los zetas, mass graves, mexican authorities, mexican nationals, mexico tamaulipas, new discovery, northeastern mexico, northern mexico, president felipe calderon, reprehensible acts, scruples, tamaulipas mexico, zetas cartel