12 Year Old Saudi Arabian Girl Wins Divorce From 80 Year Old HusbandApril 23rd, 2010 - 7:45 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Apr 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In what is being perceived as a landmark case in Saudi Arabia, a 12 year old girl has been granted divorce from her 80 year old husband. The case is being considered to be a significant one in the country as it might lead to a minimum marriageable age being introduced for the very first time in the Arab kingdom.
The young girl was compelled to marry her father’s elderly cousin last year when she was just eleven years old for a dowry of $23,350 which was given to the girl’s father. The marriage took place with the consent of the girl’s family in the town of Buraidah, which is located near the Saudi Arabian capital Riyadh. According to reports, the girl had been attempting to came out of the marriage as she was forced into it and took her case to a court in her hometown of Buraidah. Ultimately all her efforts have finally yielded results as earlier this week she was able to reach a settlement with her family to dissolve the marriage.
Meanwhile, the case grabbed the attention of the Human Rights Commission which is now seeking the imposition of legal marriageable age of 16. While talking about the stand taken by the commission, lawyer Alanoud al-Hejailan who is associated with the Human Rights Commission emphasized that the main objective was to ensure that such kind of cases do not happen in future. The attorney further added that although initially they might face some opposition, the commission wants to gather public support so that a minimum age of marriage can be introduced in the country as soon as possible.
- 12-year-old Saudi girl divorces her 80 year old husband - Apr 23, 2010
- Divorce Of Saudi Girl, 12, From Her Elderly Husband, 80, Could Ignite Matrimonial Reform In Saudi Arabia - Apr 23, 2010
- Saudi Govt to provide legal help to 12-year-old girl fighting to divorce 80-year-old husband - Feb 09, 2010
- 12-year-old bride's divorce prompts marriage age review in Saudi Arabia - Apr 22, 2010
- Saudi woman freed after serving over 6 months in jail for disobeying father - Oct 26, 2010
- Saudi princess seeks political asylum in Britain - Jul 09, 2012
- Two Indians slaving it out on Saudi camel farm - Apr 19, 2012
- Eight-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 01, 2009
- Battered Bangalore baby dies, father faces murder charge (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Women gamers thrash dowry-seekers online - Mar 21, 2012
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Saudi Arabia's version of the 'Got Talent' bans women from taking part - Jun 18, 2012
- Harassed for dowry, woman kills self, son in Rajasthan - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: arabian girl, buraidah, divorce, dowry, elderly cousin, eleven years, gina gomez, hometown, human rights commission, imposition, landmark case, lawyer, main objective, marriage, old girl, opposition, saudi arabia, saudi arabian capital, young girl