11 Egyptians killed by assailants during protest in CairoMay 3rd, 2012 - 5:42 pm ICT by BNO News
CAIRO, EGYPT (BNO NEWS) — At least eleven people were killed on Wednesday after sit-in supporters of former Salafist presidential candidate Hazem Salah Abu-Ismail were attacked outside Egypt’s Defense Ministry, officials said on Thursday.
The sit-in protesters were camped outside the Defense Ministry in the Abbasiya area of Cairo when a group of civilian-clothed men attacked the protesters on early Wednesday morning. According to witnesses, the demonstrators were attacked with cement-based bombs, Molotov cocktails, gunfire, tear gas and stones.
Officials at Egypt’s Interior Ministry confirmed at least 11 people had been killed while 49 others were injured, but unconfirmed reports indicated that the death toll later increased to 20 with more than 60 injured.
The sit-in protest had reached its fourth day after supporters were angered by the disqualification of Abu-Ismail from the presidential race, according to Ahram Online. On Saturday, the protesters had also been attacked in which at least one protester was killed and several others wounded.
A group of medical doctors, the Tahrir Doctors, were the only ones to receive the victims at the Al-Shefa hospital. A number of other nearby hospitals such as Demerdash, Ain Shams and Al-Hussein were shut down. The Tahrir Doctors condemned the situation in a statement.
- US concerned over Egypt violence - May 05, 2012
- Egypt's Islamists lead Tahrir Square protests - Jul 30, 2011
- 'Mount indefinite protests over lenient Mubarak sentence' - Jun 03, 2012
- Egypt has changed forever, says Obama as crisis continues (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- 42 people arrested at Egypt's Tahrir square - Apr 10, 2011
- Egypt unrest toll put at 384 - Feb 23, 2011
- Five dead, 800 hurt in Cairo clashes, PM says sorry (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Egypt's military asks people to end fresh wave of strikes - Feb 15, 2011
- 30 injured in clashes in front of US embassy in Egypt - Sep 13, 2012
- A 19th century square spells Egypt's new liberation - Feb 02, 2011
- Emergency declared in Yemen, 41 killed in police firing (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Egyptian journalist quits state TV - Feb 04, 2011
- Over 600 injured as police-protesters clash in Egypt - Feb 03, 2012
- Egyptian court clears doctor of virginity test charges - Mar 12, 2012
- Mass protests reflect aspirations of Egyptian people: India - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: ain shams, assailants, bno, cairo egypt, defense ministry officials, demonstrators, egyptians, gunfire, interior ministry, ismail, medical doctors, molotov cocktails, nearby hospitals, presidential race, protester, salah, shefa, sit in protest, tahrir, tear gas