10th anniversary of 9/11 attack marked by 911 memorialSeptember 12th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Sept 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The United States marked the 10th anniversary of the worst terrorist attack in the country’s history on Sunday. More than 3,000 people were killed and several others injured when 19 Islamic extremists hijacked 4 commercial planes and struck various targets in the United States. Most of the casualties were at the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York.
A commemorative event was held in New York to mark the anniversary. At the place which has become known as Ground Zero, US President Barack Obama read verses from the Bible to assure Americans that they are not alone in the tragedy. Former President George W. Bush who was the leader of the country when the incident happened also chose to read a letter from Abraham Lincoln during the event.
Obama read the texts from Psalm 46 when he was giving his speech at the event. The President’s chosen scriptures start like, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”
No religious figures were invited to the event with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg stating that the event was not a religious one. Rudy Giuliani who was the mayor when the incident happened also read from the Bible. Former President Bush mentioned God when he read the letter that Lincoln sent to the woman who lost five children during the Civil War in the 1860s.
- US President Barack Obama read the psalm 46 at 9/11 anniversary - Sep 13, 2011
- New York marks 10th anniversary of 9/11 attack - Sep 11, 2011
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- Politicians take backseat as US remembers 9/11 victims (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Brit couple receives threatening letter for trimming home bush into shape of 'Buddha' - Apr 01, 2011
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- King James Bible is now 400 years old - Apr 25, 2011
- Rudy Giuliani's daughter arrested on shoplifting charges - Aug 05, 2010
- Yuba City Council in California had its first Hindu prayer - May 05, 2010
- Barbara Bush Speaks About Same Sex Marriage - Feb 02, 2011
- Newly resurfaced letter brings the question of Abraham Linclon's faith to the fore - Apr 17, 2011
- Bush declines Obama's invitation to go to Ground Zero - May 04, 2011
- Visalia City Council in California has its first Hindu prayer - Aug 04, 2010
- Today is the Gettysburg address' 147th anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: 10th anniversary, 1860s, 911 memorial, abraham lincoln, barack obama, commemorative event, commercial planes, former president bush, god is our refuge, heart of the sea, islamic extremists, michael bloomberg, new york mayor, president george w bush, psalm 46, refuge and strength, religious figures, rudy giuliani, verses from the bible, worst terrorist attack