10-Year-Old Girl Denied Abortion Rights?April 24th, 2010 - 7:32 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Quintana Roo, Mexico, Apr 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The rape and the subsequent pregnancy of a 10-year-old girl has fueled the debate, not regarding safety and punishment, but regarding the question of abortion. The incident took place in Mexico, where abortions are legal only if rape can be proved. The girl had been raped by her stepfather, and became pregnant as a consequence. However, she had not gone ahead with an abortion, and has already crossed the three month limit a month back, which is the legally permitted time to get an abortion. Although the doctors say that the girl and the fetus are both healthy, the risks involved in pregnancy at such young age cannot be denied. It is possible that severe problems. both mental and physical, may arise as the pregnancy matures.
This incident has led to a huge debate regarding the abortion rights of as female in Mexico. Some of the advocacy groups opine that the girl had not been informed that she could have an abortion if she chose. The blame is being put on the local authorities, who had handled the matter right from the beginning and even arrested the stepfather of the girl. The girl herself is at present in the care of the set protective agency, and her physical and psychological state is being closely monitored.
According to Alor Quezada, the State Attorney General, it is possible that the officials in charge of the matter did not inform the girl of her abortion rights. However, he said, the proposition is a bit weakened by the possibility that the officials were informed of the situation by the girl’s mother when the girl was already quite advanced in her pregnancy.
- 10 Year Old Pregnant Rape Victim Ignites Abortion Controversy - Apr 21, 2010
- Pregnancy Of An Unfortunate 10-year-old Mexican Girl Ignites A Fervent Discussion On Abortion In Mexico - Apr 24, 2010
- 10-year-old pregnant girl fuels abortion debate in Mexico - Apr 21, 2010
- 10-year-old Romanian girl gives birth in Spain - Nov 03, 2010
- 11-yr-old Mexican rape victim wants to keep baby despite pressure to abort - Apr 26, 2010
- Argentines at odds over case of pregnant 11-year-old - Jan 22, 2012
- Explosion In Mexico's Grand Riviera Princess Hotel Claims Seven Lives, Injuries Many - Nov 15, 2010
- Eight killed in fire-bombing in Mexico - Sep 01, 2010
- Dead fetus found in airplane bathroom in Manila - Jan 05, 2011
- Judge quashes rape charge against Mexican singer - Jan 28, 2011
- Dead Fetus Found in Manila in Airplane's Bathroom - Jan 05, 2011
- Mexican singer appears in court to answer rape charges - Jan 24, 2011
- Mexico women activists demand safe abortion - May 29, 2011
- Mexican cop kills three fellow officers, then self - Dec 15, 2010
- 12 bodies found in Mexico - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: abortion rights, abortions, advocacy groups, consequence, dey, doctors, fetus, local authorities, old girl, psychological state, quintana roo mexico, rape, right from the beginning, state attorney general, stepfather, subsequent pregnancy